TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Which filler to buy

Default Which filler to buy

I am ready to buy some filler and putty and am confused by the number of products Evercoat makes. I'd prefer to buy just one filler and one putty. I am working on early 60s cars so the filler will be applied to steel panels in all cases.
    Rage, Rage Extreme, Rage Gold, Z-Grip, Lite Weight? Which one would be a good all purpose filler for me. I am going to make every attempt to have the required coat of filler as thin as possible.

And which putty do I follow the filler up with to fill any tiny pinholes/scratches?

I know this question has been on this site probably a dozen times but I can't find my notes on the subject.

Thanks,

John

Default Polyester Filler and Putty

Most of the polyester filler is light weight these days. Rage or Rage Extreme are both top quality fillers. I like using Evercoat's Euro-Soft Putty because it spreads smoothly and hardens at a medium speed, not too fast and not too slow.

When you apply filler (on top of metal or on top of your previous coat of filler) be sure that you have the surface scratched properly and you push the first pass into the scratches from a couple different directions then build the filler up in thin layers. This will help eliminate pin holes. I also use quite a bit of Evercoat Easy Sand because it's more liquid and can be spread very smoothly. The Easy Sand is usually used as a last step in the filler process but I also mix it with Euro-Soft when I want to have something more liquid than Euro-Soft but more solid than the Easy Sand.

Thank you for the response Len.

Now I have a question about USC All-Metal. I have some engine hardwhare (valve covers and air cleaners) to restore and I am going to need filler to get them right, even though I will tap them out and file some to get as close to perfect as I can. I was going to buy Evercoat Metal-2-Metal because of it's tolerance to heat. I see you recommend and use USC ALL-Metal. I can't find any reference to All-Metal's heat rage either on this site or on USC's website. Is there some reason you don't use Metal-2-Metal? and/or in your opinion is All-Metal just as good?

Thanks.

Default All-Metal

Quote Originally Posted by John Reeder
    Thank you for the response Len.

Now I have a question about USC All-Metal. I have some engine hardwhare (valve covers and air cleaners) to restore and I am going to need filler to get them right, even though I will tap them out and file some to get as close to perfect as I can. I was going to buy Evercoat Metal-2-Metal because of it's tolerance to heat. I see you recommend and use USC ALL-Metal. I can't find any reference to All-Metal's heat rage either on this site or on USC's website. Is there some reason you don't use Metal-2-Metal? and/or in your opinion is All-Metal just as good?

Thanks.
    To tell you the truth I've used both as saw very little difference if any. I've never used them where I needed a high temp resistance so I've never researshed the variables. If you want M2M I can get that also... it's $16.90 per quart.

Yes, please get me a quart of M2M. I'll place an order in a minute for the Rage, Euro Soft, Easy Sand, and the M2M. And a can of Ultra Gloss Milled Glass.

Thanks for the help.

John

Default Here you go...

Yes, please get me a quart of M2M. I'll place an order in a minute for the Rage, Euro Soft, Easy Sand, and the M2M. And a can of Ultra Gloss Milled Glass.

Thanks for the help.

John
    John
    I added it to the online store you can get to it from the link below.

Len I had already placed my order. I sent an email to sales@autobodystore.com
    saying that I understood that the total would be higher than check-out said to reflect the price and shipping increase due to the M2M. Do I need to do something else?

Len I had already placed my order. I sent an email to sales@autobodystore.com
    saying that I understood that the total would be higher than check-out said to reflect the price and shipping increase due to the M2M. Do I need to do something else?
    No, don't do anything, I took care of it. The M2M will be part of the order when it's shipped.

Thanks,