TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: haze in fresh clear coat

Default haze in fresh clear coat

today is the first time ive ever tried to paint. haha I used all color rite products and the clear looks very hazy. I hope this is a stupid question but will buffing and polishing take this out. Thanks

88GT Guest

More info would help. But it may have blushed. Was it humid when you painted, or did it get humid before the clear cured? Im not familiar with color rite. What are you painting and how?

This is one of those things where you'll be answering the question pretty soon. Be sure and use a paint-able polish when you do the test in case it doesn't work. It's very rare for me to come across paint that won't shine up though, in fact, the opposite is usually the problem - putting a shine on something that shouldn't by hitting it with the polisher.

Merry Christmas,
    Robert

Im painting my motorcycle and color rite is the only distributer of the color i was told. I used a filler to fix the gouge sanded it down to 1000 grit.I applied 4 coats of the paint following there mixing guide and follow with 2 coats of clear. It was about 62 degrees today and not sure of the humidity. Paint looked good no runs or anything, put the clear on about 2 hours ago and it looks very hazy. Color rites info said it should clear within 5 days, but its not what i expected. I used a gravity feed hvlp touch up gun about 34psi with the trigger held and a 5 hp compressor that says 8.5 cfm at 40 lbs. thank you. its a crotch rocket so its plastic that i painted

Quote Originally Posted by carlp1542
    Im painting my motorcycle and color rite is the only distributer of the color i was told. I used a filler to fix the gouge sanded it down to 1000 grit.I applied 4 coats of the paint following there mixing guide and follow with 2 coats of clear. It was about 62 degrees today and not sure of the humidity. Paint looked good no runs or anything, put the clear on about 2 hours ago and it looks very hazy. Color rites info said it should clear within 5 days, but its not what i expected. I used a gravity feed hvlp touch up gun about 34psi with the trigger held and a 5 hp compressor that says 8.5 cfm at 40 lbs. thank you. its a crotch rocket so its plastic that i painted
    Is the paint a lacquer, enamel or urethane?

The paint is urethane

only thing i can think of, is maybe the sand scratches your seeing. Did you put color on the entire panel? or blended the color, and prepared the rest of it with 1000 or finer sand paper.
    Also maybe you just put the clear on very dry and are mistaking the rough orange peel for a haze. Or maybe you put it on so dry that there is no shine to it and it looks hazy.
    I've never heard of a clear that is hazy when you first apply it and the haze goes away after 5 days. I think theyre bsing you.

Try sanding a little peice with 1500 when it dries and polishing it. see what happends.

i did blend it and not paint the whole panel. Im not sure what peel looks like but this looks rough and almost bumpy. the info from color rite was that there maybe moisture in it an it will fully cure after 5 days. The only problem is the paint didnt have this same texture or haze when i applied it. Thank you

88GT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pane2k
    only thing i can think of, is maybe the sand scratches your seeing. Did you put color on the entire panel? or blended the color, and prepared the rest of it with 1000 or finer sand paper.
    Also maybe you just put the clear on very dry and are mistaking the rough orange peel for a haze. Or maybe you put it on so dry that there is no shine to it and it looks hazy.
    I've never heard of a clear that is hazy when you first apply it and the haze goes away after 5 days. I think theyre bsing you.

Try sanding a little peice with 1500 when it dries and polishing it. see what happends.
    I second that
    Once it cures, thats what you get pretty much, with the exception of a little "movement" (shrinking/swelling) Nothing the eye would notice before a good polishing.
    Are you filtering the air to the gun with a water trap?

I didnt filter the gun but i did blow out the compressor very good.

88GT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by carlp1542
    i did blend it and not paint the whole panel. Im not sure what peel looks like but this looks rough and almost bumpy. the info from color rite was that there maybe moisture in it an it will fully cure after 5 days. The only problem is the paint didnt have this same texture or haze when i applied it. Thank you
    Was it just a fender or tank? You may be seeing the clear blend edge. I would clear the whole part after blending base.. But if the texture is a problem on top of things, then its most likely a material (paint) problem or gun set up. Otherwise, it sounds like you did your research

It was a fender and it does feel rough hopefully sanding and polishing will take it out. Thank you guys for all the info. Luckly i have enough lft over materials to paint it 5 more times if i have to. haha

quick question...do you notice the hazing where you put the fresh color? or is it just where there is no color..where you blended it.
    If the haze is appearing only where theres no new color...that means the clear didnt fill your sandscratches...thats why its always good to put a coat of a color blender down like dbc500 or something to that effect, this way it fills the scratches before hand and you dont have to depend on the clear doing it.