TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Heat Lamps

Default Heat Lamps

We now have a complete line of Infratech heat lamps for sale. These lamps start at $159.95 for the popular 14-1000 lamp which is great for working or painting on one or two panels at a time. You can have a cold shop and still keep the work moving along at a good pace. If you're interested in the 14-1000 model it's in the store but for other models you'll need to give us a call at 1-888-485-5008.

Last edited by Len; 12-04-2005 at 12:44 PM.

Which one is the $159 one I dont see it in your link.

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    Which one is the $159 one I dont see it in your link.
    That was 15 years ago, now that same lamp has increased in price. Our shop couldn't operate without it. Be sure to lower the lamp when not in use because leaving it up high makes it easy to tip over and break the bulb when it hits the floor. Don't ask me how I know.

I take mine off the stand and keep it in a lateral file cabinet. I take the vertical rod off the roller base of the stand too so it doesn’t take up much space. It was 98 degrees here last week. I sure wasn’t calling for heat.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    That was 15 years ago, now that same lamp has increased in price. Our shop couldn't operate without it. Be sure to lower the lamp when not in use because leaving it up high makes it easy to tip over and break the bulb when it hits the floor. Don't ask me how I know.

when i read your post i kind of quickly scanned over the text. it gave me the impression that the reason your shop couldn't operate without the lamp is because of the price increase...had to chuckle
    i get a lot of use from that one i bought from you. not for automotive work, it heats the backside of an adhesive applicator i built.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    when i read your post i kind of quickly scanned over the text. it gave me the impression that the reason your shop couldn't operate without the lamp is because of the price increase...had to chuckle
    i get a lot of use from that one i bought from you. not for automotive work, it heats the backside of an adhesive applicator i built.
    We have several different uses for our lamp including decal removing, paint drying and cold employees.

My honest long term experience with the tube type infrared heaters is a screwed up as many jobs with the heat lamp as it helped. Those heat lamps have two settings -- too hot and too cold. I blistered paint several times from getting the lamp too close. That sounds like a no brainer, just don't get the lamp so close. But when I first start out I put my hand on the surface to be heated and gauge how much heat the lamp is putting out. NOT a good way of measure how warm the panel will get. I haven't used my heat lamp in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    My honest long term experience with the tube type infrared heaters is a screwed up as many jobs with the heat lamp as it helped. Those heat lamps have two settings -- too hot and too cold. I blistered paint several times from getting the lamp too close. That sounds like a no brainer, just don't get the lamp so close. But when I first start out I put my hand on the surface to be heated and gauge how much heat the lamp is putting out. NOT a good way of measure how warm the panel will get. I haven't used my heat lamp in years.
    damned if you do and damned if you don't huh? did you try an infra-red temp gun?
    funny, not all things work the same for everyone.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    damned if you do and damned if you don't huh? did you try an infra-red temp gun?
    funny, not all things work the same for everyone.
    I've been using this type of lamp for 40 years and the way I judge it's distance from the surface is to make sure it doesn't get the surface too hot to touch. I lay my hand on the surface after about 5 minutes and move the lamp closer or further away. I'd be lost without it during cold weather.

Non contact infa red thermometer is a must have tells you exactly what your temp is and where it needs to be.

That solves every issue you brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    Non contact infa red thermometer is a must have tells you exactly what your temp is and where it needs to be.

That solves every issue you brought up.
    And do I hire someone to consistently keep pointing the non contact infrared thermometer at the panel being heated ? By the time the thermometer tells you the panel is too hot it's too late. I just found the constant moving of the heat lamp closer and farther away from the panel a major pain in the ass.

Like all professional bodyment I multitask where at times I'm 4 or 5 steps ahead all the time. Babysitting a heat lamp is not high on my list of time well spent.

And do I hire someone to consistently keep pointing the non contact infrared thermometer at the panel being heated ? By the time the thermometer tells you the panel is too hot it's too late. I just found the constant moving of the heat lamp closer and farther away from the panel a major pain in the ass.

Like all professional bodyment I multitask where at times I'm 4 or 5 steps ahead all the time. Babysitting a heat lamp is not high on my list of time well spent.
    You should start out further away for a few minutes then check the temp and move it closer if you want it hotter. If you start close that's when you get in trouble. We've been using these lamps for as long as I can remember with no problems.