TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Filling small holes. (non welding techniques)

Default Filling small holes. (non welding techniques)

hey guys!

I recently started work on a 1996 chevy truck. Well not much work, the truck is from out in nevada so no rust. Anyway, it had some running boards on it and for some reason they ran some screws right through the rockers. well they were removed before i got the truck but the holes are still there. I was wondering if there was any product out there that i caould permanantly fix these holes and then paint over them. I dont really want to go the whole welding route if i dont have to. Has anyone ever used JB Weld to fill holes in sheet metal before painting? If so does it hold up?? I know i would have to be careful as it would be a heck of a product to sand (i guess you could grind it.)
    I am just going to use touch up paint to re-paint as the rockers on this truck are nearly 90 degrees to the ground so it will not be seen. My major issue is keeping water out of the rockers as to prevent future rot problems. Anyone have any ideas? Any JB weld type products out there that would work better????

Wayne

dave_demented Guest

im not really familiar with jb products, but this is probably what i would do, if i can get inside the panel, i would first take a pick hammer and hit the edges of the hole in a little, then if i can get inside the panel, i glob some fiberglass filler on it(like duraglass) so that it drips out the outside a little, let that cure and sand it, then do another coat on the outside to level it. if you cant get inside, you can do this same thing but make sure you really push the filler up intot he hole so that it mushrooms over inside and will hold it in. this is typically what i do, however where i work has this stuff which is basically like 2 different colors of clay, one wrapped around the other. you break off a piece of it, knead it for a while and you can force it into holes, over the back of rust to strengthen it, drill it, tap it, fill really bad dents with it. its amazing. also, lens method of using foil tape works prety decently too, but if its jsut a screw hole i dont think its necessary

i just want something thats going to last. i dont want to be redoing it in a year.

wayne

Demented Dave,

"however where i work has this stuff which is basically like 2 different colors of clay, one wrapped around the other. you break off a piece of it, knead it for a while and you can force it into holes, over the back of rust to strengthen it"

What is that stuff?

dave_demented Guest

its kind of like one of those 2 part glues, only its like a clay, you can fill holes with it, drill it, tap it etc. im sure other companies make it, but this is made by lawson ill do some research and ill let ya know more about it

It sounds like a clay bar epoxy. These are usually sold to fix holes in gas tanks.

JB Weld has a similar product. Bought some in AutoZone this past weekend to repair some small hole.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk but just weld the holes up, repair it right and be done with it.

Wayne, first off, you do know that no one, I mean nooooonnnnneee is going to see these holes and think any less of your truck.

I have to assume these holes are 5/16" or so in size, I have mounted my share of those running boards myself. That is usually what you have, 1/4" or 5/16" holes drilled in the lower pinch weld and bolts going thru with a nut on the back. If this is the case, that is a big hole to fill with some JB weld or other product like that.

If I were to be doing this, If I really wanted to fill these holes without welding I would simply fill them with a urethane seam sealer, brushing a nice pattern so they look "normal" like the rest of the brushed seam sealer all over the truck and paint over it, probably black so I didn't have to paint the rockers. Just paint that lower pinch weld with black and be done with it. There are TONS of cars that have that lower pinch weld painted black or "undersealed" as a chip guard from the factory.

But honestly, noooooonnnnnneee is going to see those holes but you.

Brian