TheCoatingStore.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shoddy Repair?

Any updates to this? Nice car!

well, I was cleaning out the trunk (I was actually re-assembling the interior b/c the body shop did a horrible job fitting pieces) and I discoverd something very peculiar...

the repaired quater panel is painted black...but the OEM panel is un-painted

this is the replaced 1/4

this is the OEM/Stock 1/4

you can also see why the interior pieces no longer fit properly....

I guess they did broke/bent some pieces trying to get the 1/4 in
    Last edited by Neal376; 12-18-2006 at 05:24 AM.

I assume they painted it themselves....I dont know why

Neal, thats not paint on the inside of the new quarter, its black rubberized undercoating. Actually better in the long run than the other side which is not undercoated.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V
    Neal, thats not paint on the inside of the new quarter, its black rubberized undercoating. Actually better in the long run than the other side which is not undercoated.

yea, it felt rubbery (haha, amazing that you could tell from the pics)

alright, thats good news. I just wanted the collision to be undetectable b/c I am afraid all this will pull from the value. anyways thanks. here is some shots from my detail.

I dont understand why body shops always swirl up cars? they only washed it once!!! they managed to cause more damage in that one wash than all my personal washes combined!!

Before

after

there was some overspray on the head lamps as well...but came out easily with clay bar and PC w/ yellow pad.

the body shop paint was tough...but not too hard. Instead of my menzerna polish, i used 3M. The menzerna just did not bite at all into their paint. I always find the 1/4 the most important. Its usually the largest panel that you can see reflecting the sky from the side

You keep stating the point that the Light and bumper is misaligned, and the right side of the trunk(where the quarter was replaced)
    I'm just hoping for your sake that it isnt actually the quarter that is misaligned.
    From one of the pics, the line on the door and quater looks crooked too.
    And if the 1/4 is misaligned..then it could cause the trunk, light, and bumper to fit poorly.
    I just really hope thats not it, because it would be alot of work to correct that.

As far as someone noticing all this who wants to buy the car... Most people probably wouldnt. There are a few who know what they're looking at and would catch on, but a majority wouldnt notice.

I just cant believe shops like this get away with this shit and stay in business.

Just a comment on the insurance side. Every state is a little different and every insurance company underwrites a little different. Some companies go back 5 years some 3 years when underwriting renewal and new business. If this is you first claim and your MVR is good it will affect you very little. If you have had other accidents, claims or moving violations in the past 3-5 years it could affect you alot. The nature of the accident will also play a role. If you are not at fault or it is a comp claim it will have little impact. If it is an at fault accident it will have a much larger impact on rates when your policy renews. In any case its always best to call your agent.

Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's the picture quality, but I feel I should point out that the paint match between the bumper cover and the quarter panel is horrible. About the insurance. Making an insurance claim cannot have a negative impact on your credit rating. On the other hand, some insurance companies, like progressive say that having poor credit can justify a rate increase. I went through a period where my credit was at rock bottom and my rates never went up (but I also have State Farm.) So that's a crap shoot.

Turning in a claim will certainly not affect personal credit. But your personal credit score does have an impact on your insurance rates. When insurance companies pull credit it does not show up as a hit like when trying to get a loan. This way it has no adverse affect on your credit when you get an insurance quote. Like I said all companies underwrite a little different, but they all look at credit. Your credit is only part of what impacts rates. Past claims and moving violations also impact the rates. Most companies only adjust their rates at renewal time. Since they are all a little different and offer different percs it is impossible to determine how the claim will affect your rates unless you talk to your agent. He knows your history and your company. Of the six companies I represent in my agency the biggest impact on rates are at fault claims, CREDIT, and moving violations. You can usually get away with one at fault claim or moving violation in an underwriting period, but any more than that and rates start climbing fast. Sorry, didnt mean to turn this into a insurance thread.
    Last edited by ngc414; 01-06-2007 at 07:06 PM.

hey guys.

I dont think they blended the rear cover :confused:

at one point the manager said "the rear covers never line up correctly" is that acceptable?

anyways, I will call up the shop and ask to speak to someone else besides the body shop manager. He gave me a sense of hostility last time I spoke to him.

they had to "adjust" the rear trunk lid and the rear passanger door to match the panel. wouldnt that mean that the quater was installed improperly?

god, I hope they didnt use an aftermarket panel...

dam...everytime it rains my spare wheel well fills with water...any ideas?

Call your insurance agent or find an attorney. It seems that you can't make the shop fix the car properly so it's time to get someone who is more forceful involved. What was the total repair bill anyway?

Default I absolutely agree...

You should be done talking with the shop, it's not going to make your car right. If you received an estimate for the repairs dig it out and call a lawyer.