TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Help!!!

Exclamation Help!!!

My compressor just gave out! I also learned that it was only 2HP!!! This explains alot my disappointment of how the clears laid down. I have the JGA HVLP gun, the PLUS gun and the old JGA suction fed gun as well as some others. Should I look for a compressor that is big enough or a gun that is small enough for a $500 compresor since this is all I can afford now. Don't know which way to go. I only work on about 1 car a month as a hobby so I don't need some industrial compressor that costs alot. I live close to Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight. I can buy a new gun if that is what it will take to get a good finish out of a smaller CFM compressor. Thanks any help will be greatly appreciated.

I've never used any of those guns myself, but I do know suction guns take more air than HVLP ones.

Are you saying your the motor on your old compressor was rated at 2HP or that was the maximum amount? I ask because you'll find that most any motor on an air compressor running off 120V is only rated at 2HP becuse that's the most power that can be supplied off that amount of voltage. (although the manufactuer's like to throw the "peak" value at you.

I painted an entire car with a Porter Cable 25 Gallon Air Compressor from Lowes a few years back using a Sharpe Platinum HVLP gun and the thing rarely even cycled. Wouldn't run my air tools though, but you make no mention of what you were using for sanding.

If your happy with the guns you have and don't need to run a sander or anything I would go ahead and get one from those places you mentioned. Other than quality and name, there really isn't much difference on the smaller Air Compressors. I mean they all will have pretty much the same CFM's @ 90 and hold up to 30 gallons of air.

If you buy a better gun you still won't have a compressor and both together has to cost more 500.00.
    Last edited by Roch_Greg; 01-10-2006 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks. the motor is a 220v and had a tag that said 2hp on it. The motor is a 2 piston cylinder on a 60 gallon tank. the compressor man said it was a 2hp? made many, many years ago! I sand with a palm sander and a DA. They use alot of air and I have to let it catch up.

Actually the old JGA conventional siphon feed uses a lot less air that just about all HVLP guns. The JGA HVLP uses around 13 cfm while the older conventional siphon feed JGA uses anywhere from 6 to 10 cfm.

Preacherman, If you spray BC/CC paints then you really need to buy a gun that is desgined to handle that type of paint. The JGA hvlp is such a gun but it is an air hog comparatively speaking. The old JGA siphon feed conventional gun uses relatively little air but if you don't have a #9000 air cap for that gun then it does a really crappy job with clear coats. Either way you need a larger air compressor. A bare bones basic air compressor for any "serious" body and paint work is -- 11 - 12 cfm @90 psi, 60 gallon tank, 220V electric motor at a minimum of 5 (true) hp, not hoaky smoke and mirrors "peak hp".

Some things can never be too big. A compressor is one of them. The crapola compressors are about $300 in the big box stores. Sears has a closeout every month, and a new model to match. If that is your need and budget, look for one with a true two horsepower motor. Then you jump up to the crap tall tank models in Lowes and Home depot for $700 to $800. They look impressive, have quality names, but are still crap. They have things like the seven horsepower motor that actually only only produces seven horsepower for a microsecond when it draws an excessive amount or power on startup.

The real professional grade true five horsepower two stage compressors are in the eleven hundred dollar range delivered to your door. There are perhaps a half dozen well regarded manufacturers. The ones available on this site will not let you down.