TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Rusted subframe mounting point on Saturn Vue

Default Rusted subframe mounting point on Saturn Vue

Just noticed this today on the right side. Nothing on the left.

Is this the correct repair part? https://www.worldpartsdirect.com/oem...saAu2AEALw_wcB

Mitchell's says 1.5 hours. Can this be done with the engine or subframe still in the car? Do they just drill out the spot welds and weld in a new piece? Not much clearance on side next to the engine. Could they just cut it off where it bends 90 degrees and do the same with the replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
    Just noticed this today on the right side. Nothing on the left.

Is this the correct repair part? https://www.worldpartsdirect.com/oem...saAu2AEALw_wcB

Mitchell's says 1.5 hours. Can this be done with the engine or subframe still in the car? Do they just drill out the spot welds and weld in a new piece? Not much clearance on side next to the engine. Could they just cut it off where it bends 90 degrees and do the same with the replacement?
    It appears to be the correct part but it's difficult to tell without actually seeing that vehicle and the part in person and the actual repair process needs to be determined at the same time. What year, make and model is the car?

Good luck getting that cradel bolt out.
    LS says "Lets Go Brandon". He's like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    What year, make and model is the car?
    2004 Saturn Vue

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    Good luck getting that cradel bolt out.
    Haven't tried. Sawsall?

Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
    2004 Saturn Vue
    If it were mine and still usable I might trade it for a newer car.

I'll get more selling it outright.

The part you mentioned looks right but I have to say Iíve ordered parts that looked right and found out I didnít recognize the correct part. Sometimes the scale of the drawing is deceptive. You can call a few local scrap yards to see if you can find one that has a body that they can cut the frame rail and sell you the mount. Maybe $50. Then jack up the car and remove the serpentine belt, then remove the bolts from the A/C compressor so you can move it enough to cut the welds and remove the mount. You donít need to use a spot weld cutter, you can grind the spot welds. Then cut the welds on the scrap yard mount with a spot weld bit and weld it to your frame rail. I did something like that on my pickup last year. It wasnít spot welded but welded solid to the frame. Try not to cut into the rail too much.

Bob K

While I might be able to cut out the old pieces, I'd take it to a body shop to weld it in. No junkyard around here would do a cut for $50 but there are plenty of these in the pick & pulls. It's just finding one that isn't just as rusted as mine may be a problem.