TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Socket organizer

Default Socket organizer

I just bought a Harbor Freight 5-drawer tool cart and was wanting to place all my sockets on the top (under the door lid). I have 6 point and 12 point sockets. Can someone tell me what is a good socket organizer so I can include 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" SAE and Metric?
    Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by IHJoe View Post
    I just bought a Harbor Freight 5-drawer tool cart and was wanting to place all my sockets on the top (under the door lid). I have 6 point and 12 point sockets. Can someone tell me what is a good socket organizer so I can include 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" SAE and Metric?
    Thanks for any help.
    Harbor Freight as a variety of very inexpensive socket stands that can be attached to the box.

i like the plastic ones with the magnetic base that stands them up or leans them over a little. every position is marked so you know instantly if something is missing, or what one to grab. if you have a lot of sockets. like i do, you'll likely need two drawers dedicated to them. i have standard and metric, short and deep well, 6 and 12 point in 1/2,3/8, and 1/4 drive, a full set of 8 points too. plus all the allen, torx, and weird volkswagen ones too. two drawers is almost not enough. all the overflow of misc. old ones go in a bucket. i use those when i need to weld one or turn them down for special clearance.
    b marler

My socket sets are organized with the black plastic upright organizers like Bmarler suggested. But that is in 1/2" only. (metric and sae). My 1/4" and 3/8" socket sets are in blow molded cases where every socket has it's slot that it fits in. I like that because I can see if a socket isn't where it should be from clear across the room.

Just a side note. I have had complete socket/ratchet sets in Snap On, S&K Tools and last but not least is Milwaukee full socket sets (in blow molded cases) in 1/4" and 3/8" full sets with ratchets, extensions, U-joint adapter etc including metric and sae sockets in shallow and deep. I had close to new S&K similar socket sets in 1/4" and 3/8" and bought the Milwaukee socket sets on a whim. To be honest I prefer the Milwaukee sets which is my go to socket sets. All the previous sets mentioned were in polished chrome. A couple years ago I picked up a complete 1/4" impact socket set by Matco (at a pawn shop) in shallow and deep in a blow molded case. In my shop those 1/4" Matco impact sockets get used the most (with my cordless Milwaukee impact drivers and ratchets.
    Excellent combination of tools.

I also picked up a full set of 3/8' impact sockets in shallow and deep in a blow molded case couple years ago that were made in China (Gasp !, yes I siad China). And they have been working excellent for me. They were not real cheap like some but the quality is apparently there. When I worked for other people in the bodyshops at dealerships or independent shops I used to buy Snap On tools because it was handy and especially the "buy now pay later" thing that keeps Snap On in business. It finally dawned on me that I was paying at least two to three times as much for snap on tools as other brands of tools of similar quality. So I quit buying snap on and Mac tools. I replaced my snap on socket/ratchet sets with S&K 1/4" and 3/8" full sets and sold the snap on stuff. I used those S&K socket sets for the next 20 years with only good things to say about them. I replaced them a couple years ago with brand new S&K socket sets and then bought the Milwaukee socket sets and prefer the Milwaukee socket sets. I gave the S&K socket sets to my 16 year old grand son that is putting together a tool box. I also bought him a new US General roll around tool cabinet on sale for $650 that he's happy with. It would have been nice if someone has helped me out with tools when I first got started. I am not pushing my grandson to get into mechanic or bodywork. I told him I would prefer he get go to college and get into a different line of work but also there is nothing wrong with being a professional bodyman/painter or professional mechanic. In the right setting they pay over $100K a year which is a hell of a lot more than many college graduates make. My son and I are helping my grandson put together a decently stocked tool box so he can repair his own things like recreation vehicles, dirt bikes, quads etc and if he wants to buy things that need a little work and resell them at a profit. It's good to have the tools and the know how to repair your own things without having to pay someone else.

I have these and i have socket rails for the most used everyday sockets. I think it's a bit of personal preference witch organizers you use so look around before you buy.

https://www.amazon.com/Socket-Organi.../dp/B01J3YV1ME

Quote Originally Posted by Metallic Mayhem View Post
    I have these and i have socket rails for the most used everyday sockets. I think it's a bit of personal preference witch organizers you use so look around before you buy.

https://www.amazon.com/Socket-Organi.../dp/B01J3YV1ME
    Based on that picture you posted I'd say you're missing some sockets. LOL ! (Sorry, I couldn't resist that).

Actually i have more sockets than there are spaces for them. I cut them up so i could optimize space and now have the largest drawer filled.