TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Any usable paint strippers these days?

Default Any usable paint strippers these days?

I'm stripping the paint off a bumper cover. I have some 10 year old aircraft stripper and have done half of it, but will probably run out before I'm finished. It works great, paint starts blistering in minutes. For those not aware, the main working ingredient in paint strippers, methylene chloride, was banned 2 years ago for consumer grade strippers. The new formulas that came out since are pretty much useless if you read the reviews or watch some videos. This guy goes off on it pretty good,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7fvrTl6ffY

Has anyone used something that actually works or can suggest a good readily available commercial grade stripper? I see Klean Strip recently came out with a new formula aircraft stripper: http://kleanstripauto.com/products/a...-paint-remover It doesn't say, "No methylene chloride" on the label, but it doesn't say it has it either. It does have some methanol.

Default pro form

I bought a gallon if Pro form aircraft stripper last year and it worked fine, just as good as the stuff from years ago.
    I think if the stripper is designated for "aircraft use" it isn't regulated as stringently as automotive chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by JMTC View Post
    I bought a gallon if Pro form aircraft stripper last year and it worked fine, just as good as the stuff from years ago.
    I think if the stripper is designated for "aircraft use" it isn't regulated as stringently as automotive chemicals.
    Different laws in Canada. When I go to their website https://proformproducts.com/products...nt-stripper-2/ it says This product is not available in your region.

I just purchased the aircraft stripper with the good and smelly chemical here in the US at Orielly auto parts.

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinjimmy View Post
    I just purchased the aircraft stripper with the good and smelly chemical here in the US at Orielly auto parts.
    Yea, the useless kind WITHOUT methylene chloride I'll bet.

Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
    You can help the weaker strippers by applying it then covering it with plastic film for an hour or two then remove the film and scrape off the paint. The film helps drive the stripper down into the paint rather than evaporating before it works.

Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
    Not to get into a contest go look at Orielly here in the states

OK, they have the worthless kind,

and what is supposed to be better.

Got some of the latter and will see how it works.

Ugh, Just UGH

Well, just tried the Ultra version. Left on 30 minutes like the directions say. Maybe 30% of the paint I applied it to came off. Would have to apply 3 times and wait 9 times longer, to get the same results as the old stuff. Luckily it looks like I should have enough of the old stripper to finish this job. Will have to find a commercial source of the effective stripper for next time. Or take a ride to Canada.