TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Gas tank filler tube ?

Default Gas tank filler tube ?

What should I do to protect the gas filler neck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jack7787 View Post
    What should I do to protect the gas filler neck.
    Scuff it with some 80 grit paper and apply Picklex 20, work it in with a scuff pad then wipe it off and allow it to dry. Once it's dry apply a couple of coats of Zero Rust.

Will that work to protect it.the filler neck lives in rear wheel well will that last from road debris

Quote Originally Posted by jack7787 View Post
    Will that work to protect it.the filler neck lives in rear wheel well will that last from road debris
    If that's the case I would probably do what I suggested then coat it with some gravel guard.

I've done a few of these exposed filler necks on the older trucks. I used to use Por15 but ran into the problem with chipping so I started coating it with a vulcanized rubber compound similar to gravel guard and that did the trick. On a few occasions I manufactured a clamp on guard that wrapped around 2/3rds of the filler tube and sat about .375 off the tube, this also worked out quite well. Now I just do the exact procedure as Len pointed out, Zero Rust (less prone to chipping) followed by gravel guard.

Default epoxy

I would spray with epoxy primer, 2 coats gravel guard, 2 coats zero rust. Then your good to go!

Thanks for all the advice