TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Filling large gaps

Default Filling large gaps

Its been a while since i posted but am back. I installed new quarters on a 74 Camaro I am working on. I slipped them under the roof skin and welded the roof skin within the recess of the quarter skin. This gap exists on both sides, it looks like I can tap it down a little closer but still too large to close and weld shut. The factory leaded this seam. Is there a non shrinking filler I can use that would be OK exposed to air on the inside? I imagine a regular polyester filler would be bad here since I cant get to the inside and seal it to prevent it from absorbing moisture.

Perhaps there is an epoxy putty or a non traditional filler like USC All Metal that would be a good fit?

Quote Originally Posted by CJK440 View Post
    Its been a while since i posted but am back. I installed new quarters on a 74 Camaro I am working on. I slipped them under the roof skin and welded the roof skin within the recess of the quarter skin. This gap exists on both sides, it looks like I can tap it down a little closer but still too large to close and weld shut. The factory leaded this seam. Is there a non shrinking filler I can use that would be OK exposed to air on the inside? I imagine a regular polyester filler would be bad here since I cant get to the inside and seal it to prevent it from absorbing moisture.

Perhaps there is an epoxy putty or a non traditional filler like USC All Metal that would be a good fit?
    All Metal would probably work but I usually use a short strand fiberglass filler in situations like that for the initial filling then finish the job with a regular polyester filler.

i'm having trouble visualizing the situation. is it a long seam? deep? wouldn't something like fusor work to seal (and sort of glue it) , then switch to filler? i'm probably way off base, because i can't see it in my head.
    b marler