TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Getting ready to work on my instrument panel

Default Getting ready to work on my instrument panel

I have a 68 IH pickup that I'm doing a complete frame off (I know, I'm crazy). I took the instrument panel out and removed all the gauges and I'm thinking of dipping/soaking my panel in Evapo Rust. I was wondering what happens after I let it soak for a couple of days? Do I need to shoot it with epoxy then? It's going to be a long time before it will be painted so I'm thinking I need something on it. Thanks for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by IHJoe View Post
    I have a 68 IH pickup that I'm doing a complete frame off (I know, I'm crazy). I took the instrument panel out and removed all the gauges and I'm thinking of dipping/soaking my panel in Evapo Rust. I was wondering what happens after I let it soak for a couple of days? Do I need to shoot it with epoxy then? It's going to be a long time before it will be painted so I'm thinking I need something on it. Thanks for any help.
    Clean it well that spray it with epoxy primer.

Quote Originally Posted by IHJoe View Post
    not crazy at all, maybe start a resto thread on it?
    b marler

Evapo Rust is a good product but can take awhile to work on deeply corroded parts. It contains an organic chelating agent for removal as opposed to an acid so it won't harm your parts. This same agent can be found in raw unprocessed honey (sold in feed stores, I get it locally for $4 a gallon) and will do just as good of job when mixed at 2 to 1 ratio. As Len stated, wipe clean and shoot with epoxy.
    Last edited by Ronf; 12-02-2021 at 03:01 PM.