TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Engine Stand for door rotisserie?

Default Engine Stand for door rotisserie?

Has anyone used a engine stand to hold up a door for metal finishing? The folding door stand I'm using is a pain trying to steady the door while working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by x1109c View Post
    Has anyone used a engine stand to hold up a door for metal finishing? The folding door stand I'm using is a pain trying to steady the door while working on it.
    Do you need it anchored so that you can pull and push on it?

So the door is flat on the folding stand and I've got my arm through the window regulator holes pushing with a dolly while slapping with a file. This makes it a very uncomfortable position. When I stand the door up on its bottom edge I'm try to steady it while working it. I thought I could bolt it to a stand then position it easily to work on it

Quote Originally Posted by x1109c View Post
    So the door is flat on the folding stand and I've got my arm through the window regulator holes pushing with a dolly while slapping with a file. This makes it a very uncomfortable position. When I stand the door up on its bottom edge I'm try to steady it while working it. I thought I could bolt it to a stand then position it easily to work on it
    Steck makes a door rest that may work for you but you would need a floor jack to attach it to. This stand would cost you $121 plus shipping.

There are other stands that hold the panels better but they cost a lot more.

I typically H&D doors on the vehicle, is this not possible for your project? Can you make your own dolly and weld on an extension handle? I have bought several sets of cheap dollies in the past and weld extension handles on them. It is a bit slower to work the metal this way but it does relieve your hands in tight places. If you go this route you can weld on tangs to grab onto the inside door supports to get leverage. I've also been known to cut away door bracing for access (same way with trunk lids), if so be sure and weld on extra core supports to maintain door contour and integrity

i made up a set of stands to bolt doors to when i work them. simple thing out of angle iron. makes a big difference when you need to man handle them.
    i don't see why an engine stand wouldn't work. being able to rotate them might be a good thing.
    b marler

Cool

I made a stand out of wood w/casters when I was removing the doors on my '54. Took about 1/2 hour to build and cost nothing. Something like this may work for you.

door cart2.jpgdoor cart1.jpg