TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: advice needed welding repair at A-piller

Default advice needed welding repair at A-piller

Hello all, I'm new here. I am a hobbyist only and i am working on a 67 mustang.
    the car I have has a roof section off another car and there is a 3"long seam i need to butt-weld? at the a-piller top.
    it's has lead on both the original steel and the added steel .
    Do i clean the lead off the sheet metal and mig weld? or do I tin it and apply body solder? will lead just fill the gap ?
    thanks to any replies in advance!

john

Quote Originally Posted by hobbyist View Post
    Hello all, I'm new here. I am a hobbyist only and i am working on a 67 mustang.
    the car I have has a roof section off another car and there is a 3"long seam i need to butt-weld? at the a-piller top.
    it's has lead on both the original steel and the added steel .
    Do i clean the lead off the sheet metal and mig weld? or do I tin it and apply body solder? will lead just fill the gap ?
    thanks to any replies in advance!

john
    Torch the lead out and butt weld, follow over the top of weld with short strand fiber filler. Lead was used back in the day when the roof panels were joined to body, that is out of date filler (I still do lead work on these seams too keep my lead skills up). Be sure you H&D as you go and peen the stitch welds. You understand stitch welding correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Torch the lead out and butt weld, follow over the top of weld with short strand fiber filler. Lead was used back in the day when the roof panels were joined to body, that is out of date filler (I still do lead work on these seams too keep my lead skills up). Be sure you H&D as you go and peen the stitch welds. You understand stitch welding correct?
    yes thankyou!!
    much appiciated!