TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Quick way to prime metal burn throughs on panels such as a fender

Default Quick way to prime metal burn throughs on panels such as a fender

Hi all. I'm after abit of efficency in my work flow. Sometimes when I sand a panel's edges before applying base I burn through to metal. Additionally, I sometimes burn through to bondo if I have not applied enough primer in the area. Is there a quick way to cover these small areas with a primer type product without having the need to guide + sand over it again?

Could anyone please explain if a spot primer or a surface primer would be suitable as I am unsure which to buy. I'll ask the shop owner but would like a second opinion on here.

surface primer 2.jpg

The problem with many primers, especially aerosols, is that they are NOT hardened and can show a dull area after your top coats are applied. In most cases you'll want a primer that takes an activator/hardener to do a small spot job. This dull spot can be more of a problem over body filler.

there aren't any shortcuts to a quality job. primer is about the quickest and easiest thing there is to apply. the alternative, if there aren't burn throughs to filler, would be sealer. if it's just a tiny burn through on a panel edge or similar, i like a dedicated 2k urethane sealer. apply right before base. goes on very smooth and makes a nice foundation for base. if you're working in a collision shop though, cost becomes a factor. many shop owners won't spring for the extra material.
    b marler

Thanks the advice. I trust what you are saying about the dark spots over the body filler as this has happened to me a year ago. I'm therefore going to go over the panel again with 2kprimer with hardner. I asked the same question to the shop owner and he recommended aerosol spot primer for both metal burn throughs and bondo. I bought some cans but I only plan to use it for metal and not the bondo cause of what len has said. He said after letting it dry sand it back a little with scuff pad but not too much or it will come off. To me I dont really understand how this is accurate as when you apply base it could have little mounds unless you use a guide coat to verify its completely level. bmahler that 2k surfacer sounds great if it's just metal burn through. Shame it doesn't work on bondo too!