TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Die-Back

Default Die-Back

I have noticed a little die back on my repairs only on covered primer areas.
    I know the cool weather is at play and need to allow longer curing times for the primed areas but
    was wondering if using a sealer over the 2K primer would help, isn't 2K (urethane) primer itself a sealer?
    Should a sealer be used over 2K primer?

Quote Originally Posted by JCCLARK View Post
    I know the cool weather is at play and need to allow longer curing times for the primed areas but
    was wondering if using a sealer over the 2K primer would help, isn't 2K (urethane) primer itself a sealer?
    i like to use a dedicated urethane sealer. it lays out like glass and helps to fill that micro texture the primer has. i know you'd think that the urethane primer is a sealer of sorts, it's not porous like primer of olden times, but it does sort of soak up the first coat of paint if you don't seal.
    i'm sure it can really depend on the primer you use too. higher end primers may not react the same. i've not experienced die back with good ppg products.
    what primer do you use?
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by JCCLARK View Post
    it can be both correct.

die back is usually priming over to rough a grit, or not enough primer build or not long enough cure time,