TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bare Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    It depends on the type of plastic. I use a squeeze bottle with thinner to clean my guns and I've been using the same one for years. It's the same plastic that those gallon milk jugs are made of.
    Good advice on the gun cleaning.

I do not blast inside the garage tried it once by tacking plastic to the ceiling but that darn sand will go places dust cannot get to.
    Any blasting is done outside and the only blasting done on this car were the drip rail and the gasket channel for the soft top, before I sprayed I used my leaf blower and went through the entire garage and blew the dust out along with every fan I had, next I shut the door and turned the furnace up to bring up the temp started a fire in the woodstove and brought the temp up to about 90F wiped the car down real good opened the door and sprayed, shut the door waited about 20 min and did it again. The temp was about 33 outside and after the painting, we got .96 inches of rain and now we are covered in snow, I now have to do the body filler. After the filler do I put on a seal coat or go to the high build primer and then the seal coat?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmystoys View Post
    Not trying to steal the thread but info for others. Marler, I get a kick out of your ketchup container usage! I'm always hoarding containers of various sizes in hopes to use them, which I do, but does the acetone not eat away at the plastic in time? And, I like your concoction. Going to try it!
    len's right, it depends on the plastic. some are immune to solvents and will last almost indefinitely. others will melt at first contact. please do try the solvent, you won't be disappointed.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    len's right, it depends on the plastic. some are immune to solvents and will last almost indefinitely. others will melt at first contact. please do try the solvent, you won't be disappointed.
    Yes I will. Looking forward to it.

Question

I cannot find any advice from TCP Global as to the recoat window of their epoxy primer is there a general rule also I think Somewhere it was said I can put filler over the epoxy is this correct? After the filler is done I am planning on going over the body (minus doors etc) with Presta 131732 Scuff Stuff Surface Prep but there is a slight problem with washing off the material as we are now below freezing, can I wash the body outside with a hot water pressure washer then bring it inside to dry?

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinjimmy View Post
    I cannot find any advice from TCP Global as to the recoat window of their epoxy primer is there a general rule also I think Somewhere it was said I can put filler over the epoxy is this correct? After the filler is done I am planning on going over the body (minus doors etc) with Presta 131732 Scuff Stuff Surface Prep but there is a slight problem with washing off the material as we are now below freezing, can I wash the body outside with a hot water pressure washer then bring it inside to dry?
    The re-coat window of different epoxy primers can be a lot different from one primer to another plus the temperature is also a factor. I've never used TCP's primer so I have no info on it.

Yes you can put filler over the epoxy primer.

We have used the Scuff Stuff on small areas but we normally sand most surfaces that will get painted. You can use water to wash off the Scuff Stuff as long as there is no bare metal.

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinjimmy View Post
    I do not blast inside the garage tried it once by tacking plastic to the ceiling but that darn sand will go places dust cannot get to.
    Any blasting is done outside and the only blasting done on this car were the drip rail and the gasket channel for the soft top, before I sprayed I used my leaf blower and went through the entire garage and blew the dust out along with every fan I had, next I shut the door and turned the furnace up to bring up the temp started a fire in the woodstove and brought the temp up to about 90F wiped the car down real good opened the door and sprayed, shut the door waited about 20 min and did it again. The temp was about 33 outside and after the painting, we got .96 inches of rain and now we are covered in snow, I now have to do the body filler. After the filler do I put on a seal coat or go to the high build primer and then the seal coat?
    After filler is sanded with guide coat go straight to high build primer. After HB is sanded with guide coat I have a few choices. If it is a long term project I'll seal it off with epoxy for surface protection, if it is ready for paint I go straight to sealer, bc, and cc

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    The re-coat window of different epoxy primers can be a lot different from one primer to another plus the temperature is also a factor. I've never used TCP's primer so I have no info on it.

Yes you can put filler over the epoxy primer.

We have used the Scuff Stuff on small areas but we normally sand most surfaces that will get painted. You can use water to wash off the Scuff Stuff as long as there is no bare metal.
    I'm with Len, most brands of epoxy have their own recoat window. I would give TCP a shout if it isn't in the tds

Information is greatly appreciated thank you to all.