TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Paint procedure on embossed lettering?

Default Paint procedure on embossed lettering?

Good morning!

Len, I’m hoping you or the other pros can give me some advice on something I’ve not had to do before. I decided to avoid doing a “wipe” and try my hand (no pun intended) at manually hand painting the embossed Ford logos on the various parts of my tractor instead of trying to mask and spray…just too many curves and a tight area. The fenders are painted with Delfleet RAL 7032 but the lettering I will still paint with the same red as my chassis.

When doing this kind of work, should I mix my shop line basecoat red as if I would be spraying, or should I just pour directly from the can and work with the base only? I have heard that reducing it would allow the paint to be “pulled” by the brush. My second question relates to protection once painted….should I also “free hand” clear coat directly over the top of the red once it flashes? I am more concerned about long term protection from scrapes and scuffs by leaving the base exposed.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom!F26A4AD8-6DD6-498F-95D0-036212A45589.jpg

Try rolling single stage paint on the sanded letters with a hard rubber roller. They sell them for applying pressure to laminate countertop Formica. You may want to thin the paint and do several applications. Clean up with Q-Tipps and thinner.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by kingsley73 View Post
    Good morning!

Len, I’m hoping you or the other pros can give me some advice on something I’ve not had to do before. I decided to avoid doing a “wipe” and try my hand (no pun intended) at manually hand painting the embossed Ford logos on the various parts of my tractor instead of trying to mask and spray…just too many curves and a tight area. The fenders are painted with Delfleet RAL 7032 but the lettering I will still paint with the same red as my chassis.

When doing this kind of work, should I mix my shop line basecoat red as if I would be spraying, or should I just pour directly from the can and work with the base only? I have heard that reducing it would allow the paint to be “pulled” by the brush. My second question relates to protection once painted….should I also “free hand” clear coat directly over the top of the red once it flashes? I am more concerned about long term protection from scrapes and scuffs by leaving the base exposed.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom!F26A4AD8-6DD6-498F-95D0-036212A45589.jpg

FDGH, FBC, FBCH ?

i haven't tried the rubber roller bob mentions, might be a good method? i usually use one shot when i do stuff like that. you can add hardener to it if you want, and it covers really well.
    b marler