TheCoatingStore.com

Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Primer issue help

  1. #1

    Default Primer issue help

    I need some advice on roll-on epoxy primer. When I rolled the first coat it came out fantastic!! After applying the second coat you can see in the photo what happened. Don't mind the color because it is the lighting. Just want to know why the dimples. Bad mix? Bad temp? Also what do I need to do to proceed? Sand them out? Remove all paint?
    Details:
    Eastwood Optiflow Epoxy primer
    Temp - 70
    Mix on both coats 1:1 (vendor recommended)
    I did not do any cross hatch sanding before second coat - new sheet metal with no body work needed. Also vendor recommendation is to apply 2 coats of epoxy and then 1 coat of urethane.
    9FF7F498-BDB9-4BA6-84AF-5DCA449B49AE.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    45,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mellis18 View Post
    I need some advice on roll-on epoxy primer. When I rolled the first coat it came out fantastic!! After applying the second coat you can see in the photo what happened. Don't mind the color because it is the lighting. Just want to know why the dimples. Bad mix? Bad temp? Also what do I need to do to proceed? Sand them out? Remove all paint?
    Details:
    Eastwood Optiflow Epoxy primer
    Temp - 70
    Mix on both coats 1:1 (vendor recommended)
    I did not do any cross hatch sanding before second coat - new sheet metal with no body work needed. Also vendor recommendation is to apply 2 coats of epoxy and then 1 coat of urethane.
    9FF7F498-BDB9-4BA6-84AF-5DCA449B49AE.jpg
    I've never rolled on epoxy primer so I don't know all the variables but it looks like contamination or maybe solvent pop. I would imagine that rolling on the primer will tend to apply it more heavily than spraying which can cause it to pop if the first coat wasn't dry enough.

    Are you using new rollers and what are they made of foam or fuzz? Did you use the same roller for both the first and second coats?

  3. #3

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I've never rolled on epoxy primer so I don't know all the variables but it looks like contamination or maybe solvent pop. I would imagine that rolling on the primer will tend to apply it more heavily than spraying which can cause it to pop if the first coat wasn't dry enough.

    Are you using new rollers and what are they made of foam or fuzz? Did you use the same roller for both the first and second coats?
    Maybe the first coat wasn't dry enough is a good point. Using new rollers that are recommended by Eastwood for their product...and used new roller with each coat. Do you think I have to sand down again or do you think laying another coat on top will fit pops?

    Very, very new to this process!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    45,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mellis18 View Post
    Maybe the first coat wasn't dry enough is a good point. Using new rollers that are recommended by Eastwood for their product...and used new roller with each coat. Do you think I have to sand down again or do you think laying another coat on top will fit pops?

    Very, very new to this process!!
    Most "epoxy" primers don't sand well, they tend to be gummy and clog the sandpaper. But if you're going to sand it in order to level it I'd recommend spraying a light guide coat on it first so that you can see when those divots are gone.


  5. #5

    Default

    I do have the guide coat but didn't use on first coat because it is new sheet metal with no body massaging work needed. I will let the epoxy dry anoth day, use the guide coat and go from there.
    However...I just tied mixing another batch using really precise measurements and you can see in the picture what it looks like in the tray. I have a tech call into Eastwood right now and I'm waiting on their call back. Seems like the product is bad to me.
    8D0385BF-FCB8-408D-9AC4-EF8512C8D0A4.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •