TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Can I jamb in single stage then paint the whole car in B/C?

Cool Can I jamb in single stage then paint the whole car in B/C?

I think I finally picked out the color for my '54.
    Firemist green UBLV

It's going to be two-tone. White top with a Firemist green body. Would it be appropriate to paint the firewall, inner fender panels and door and trunk jambs with single stage then shoot the body with the above basecoat/clearcoat UBLV Firemist green?

final prime6 (2).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by evintho View Post
    Firemist green UBLV

It's going to be two-tone. White top with a Firemist green body. Would it be appropriate to paint the firewall, inner fender panels and door and trunk jambs with single stage then shoot the body with the above basecoat/clearcoat UBLV Firemist green?
    Yes that would work fine. I normally shoot the single stage first then allow it to fully cure then mask it off then prep and paint the two stage.

Default Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by evintho View Post
    Firemist green UBLV

final prime6 (2).jpg
    Your car reminds me of one from the past. Buddy saved the picture from where it was taken and I made a copy and put it in front of his today house. He had is faintly lettered, "LITTLE DEUCE" and it had dual exhaust with glass packs.

Henry

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Yes that would work fine. I normally shoot the single stage first then allow it to fully cure then mask it off then prep and paint the two stage.
    Thanks Len! That was my plan.

Hey Len, I'm curious how far you extend the single stage. An inch? 6"?

I assume after the single stage is cured, you just scuff/sand the overspray off and single coat to a blend line.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post
    Hey Len, I'm curious how far you extend the single stage. An inch? 6"?

I assume after the single stage is cured, you just scuff/sand the overspray off and single coat to a blend line.
    When doing a two tone job with single and two stage paint the method I use usually depends on how the two are distributed on the vehicle. If it's a car or truck with only the top in single stage then I usually mask off the break line and paint up to it. If it's more complicated with different parts of the vehicle I shoot the areas of single stage without masking then mask and sand to the tape then re-mask and apply my second color.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Just to add to Lens comments, I use 3M 6800 transition tape (I believe Len sells this) on inside door and pillar jambs when painting outside body. Along with the transition tape I use CARWORX 134 foam masking tape jammed in the door crease. On the transition tape run a double row, makes life easier. Len, do you have the oval or round foam masking for jambs available?