TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epoxy Primer How Much Time

Quote Originally Posted by Marten View Post
    I stripped, then epoxy, then filler. Some will go filler then epoxy. Seems to be a divided point as to what is better.
    Marten is absolutely correct, everybody has their way. Either will work as long as your product TDS doesn't discourage it. High end epoxy can be used 2 ways, 1) to protect surface from rust followed by filler. If your thinking is storage of panel or extended work I shoot 2 medium coats. 2) If used in place of a dedicated sealer prior to top coating I let the expoxy flash off for several hours and apply top coating. If used in place of a dedicated sealer I only shoot one light but fully covered coat. After several hours of drying I check for uniform coverage and to ensure no possible halo effect transferring to my bc/cc. If epoxy shows any sign of problems for bc I shoot another coat of epoxy (rare with high end epoxys) prior to top coating

This is the specs on the disk that I am using; Material = Blue Nylon Webbing (Extra Coarse)
    Abrasive = Silicon Carbide
    After I have removed all paint should I go over everything with a specific grit just to be safe so the epoxy gets a good hold of the metal, also I have some PPG wax and grease remover is this good enough for bare metal cleaning? While on the subject of cleaning I also have some of this POR15 metal conditioner.
    I just read that I can use mineral spirits?
    Last edited by wisconsinjimmy; 11-08-2021 at 02:07 PM. Reason: add info

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinjimmy View Post
    This is the specs on the disk that I am using; Material = Blue Nylon Webbing (Extra Coarse)
    Abrasive = Silicon Carbide
    After I have removed all paint should I go over everything with a specific grit just to be safe so the epoxy gets a good hold of the metal, also I have some PPG wax and grease remover is this good enough for bare metal cleaning? While on the subject of cleaning I also have some of this POR15 metal conditioner.
    I just read that I can use mineral spirits?
    After striping paint I hit surface (bare metal) with either 80 or 180g. If using a top epoxy like PPG DPXXLF you can hit it with 180g. If using a low cost primer I would hit it with 80g for more tooth. Your PPG W&G remover is a great product for the entire project, one of the best I have ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinjimmy View Post
    www.empireabrasives.com/
    I cannot locate the link that was posted for sanding pads for the 4-1/2" angle grinder and after ordering 3 pack on Amazon I found this company and the same disk/pad is way cheaper.
    I'm curious what discs these are. Link just shows a whole page of various discs. Maybe you could send a pic?

https://www.empireabrasives.com/4-1-...-removal-disc/ sorry about that but to get a pic from the web is a bit out of my paygrade. they are a conditioning disk/pad I think this will take you to it.

Cool

Those are exactly what I used. Took it down to bare metal in seconds! Those leave a smooth surface so I then went over the whole car with 80g on a D/A. Sprayed 2 coats of epoxy, followed by 3 coats of Slicksand. Blocked the Slicksand then layed down 3 coats of 2K urethane primer. Done!