TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Spray gun cleaning?

Default Spray gun cleaning?

I left single stage paint with hardner in gun over night not a lot. What’s the best way to clean the gun its a Fuji turbine gun

Quote Originally Posted by jack7787 View Post
    I left single stage paint with hardner in gun over night not a lot. What’s the best way to clean the gun its a Fuji turbine gun
    Yikes! I would probably try dipping a Q-Tip in some paint stripper and working on one place at a time. You can soak metal parts like the fluid tip but I wouldn't recommend soaking the gun body because it can hurt the soft internal parts. Learn your lesson this time and clean your gun as soon as you're done spraying.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Yikes! I would probably try dipping a Q-Tip in some paint stripper and working on one place at a time. You can soak metal parts like the fluid tip but I wouldn't recommend soaking the gun body because it can hurt the soft internal parts. Learn your lesson this time and clean your gun as soon as you're done spraying.
    Len,

I absolutely agree with you on soaking entire guns being detrimental to seals and soft parts. However, as he left product in the gun over night i'm not sure this isn't an occasion to soak the entire gun, followed by a rebuild kit for the gun (at minimum all new seals). There is no way I could ever trust a gun in this situation without a complete soak, tear down and rebuild kit that included all new seals. The products and projects we shoot are just too expensive to take a chance with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Len,

I absolutely agree with you on soaking entire guns being detrimental to seals and soft parts. However, as he left product in the gun over night i'm not sure this isn't an occasion to soak the entire gun, followed by a rebuild kit for the gun (at minimum all new seals). There is no way I could ever trust a gun in this situation without a complete soak, tear down and rebuild kit that included all new seals. The products and projects we shoot are just too expensive to take a chance with.
    You're absolutely right except the paint doesn't cling to all parts of the gun and I normally only recommend cleaning those parts that have touched the paint.

Here's that plastic squeeze bottle we were talking about in another thread. It's not effected by lacquer thinner so it's great for gun cleaning and we also use it for polish.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Here's that plastic squeeze bottle we were talking about in another thread. It's not effected by lacquer thinner so it's great for gun cleaning and we also use it for polish.

that looks just like the ketchup bottle i use. just clear instead of red.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    that looks just like the ketchup bottle i use. just clear instead of red.
    Yep, that's all it is but made with the right plastic to stand up to thinner. I'm sure that there are ketchup bottles that may do the job also.