TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Mixing base clear for a quick freshen up on a chipped hood?

Default Mixing base clear for a quick freshen up on a chipped hood?

I'm an amateur who has done a bunch of bumpers and two full repaints.

I have to repaint the bumper on my Redondo red pearl 06 Accord. I got a good match on my paint and I was going to respray the bumper only but with 150,000 miles the hood has taken some abuse. The paint is still nice but I'd like to freshen it up at a glance. A full respray of the hood is out. I know it won't match well enough. The fenders are perfect and blending is not something I have much experience with.

I was thinking about reclearing the hood but mixing some base in the clear for atleast the first coat to help cover the peppering of rock chips with some color.

Not looking for perfection, just some advice on if this idea is reasonable for my beater. And if so, what ratios for base/clear.

Quote Originally Posted by GasBuggy View Post
    I'm an amateur who has done a bunch of bumpers and two full repaints.

I have to repaint the bumper on my Redondo red pearl 06 Accord. I got a good match on my paint and I was going to respray the bumper only but with 150,000 miles the hood has taken some abuse. The paint is still nice but I'd like to freshen it up at a glance. A full respray of the hood is out. I know it won't match well enough. The fenders are perfect and blending is not something I have much experience with.

I was thinking about reclearing the hood but mixing some base in the clear for atleast the first coat to help cover the peppering of rock chips with some color.

Not looking for perfection, just some advice on if this idea is reasonable for my beater. And if so, what ratios for base/clear.
    As long as the two (base and clear) are compatible and mix together well it can work however mixing a metallic or pearl with clear can create problems. We mix solid colors with clear like black, red etc but we've found that mixing metallic or pearls with clear can cause an uneven result making the finish mottle with stripes or blotches.

I should clarify that even though the paint name says pearl, it's just a red metallic.

I would kick myself if I ruined this hood with an experiment. Maybe I'll test it on the bumper or just take the time to fill in the chips with my artists brushes over a period of days and then just re-clear the hood.