TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: hugly rusty hitch bar....soon to become, prevention ?

Default hugly rusty hitch bar....soon to become, prevention ?

Hi. I want to buy a hitch for my SUV... Now I live in Montreal where they put tons of salt of the roads in the winter....
    and I know that the hitch will look like $h*t just a few weeks after I install it.... the paint is soo cheap on these things...
    So please IYO what is a good and cheap way to prevent this please ? what would you apply on the hitch ? buying a galvanized one is not an option for me.... thank you.

there's a couple of options i'd consider. zero rust or rustoleum in black if you want it to disappear underneath the car, touch up as needed, or cold galvanizing spray paint. cold galvanize is silver colored and will be more visible. both zero rust and rustoleum are available as a spray paint too.
    anything you apply won't hold up as well as hot dip galvanizing, but will be able to be touched up when it chips and rusts.
    spray on bed liner might work too, just thought of it.
    b marler

Pay to have the hitch sand blasted or sand blast it yourself.

Looking for something cheap and fast won't work.

When it come to bodywork and paint work in most cases ---- you can't cheap the hangman.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    Pay to have the hitch sand blasted or sand blast it yourself.

Looking for something cheap and fast won't work.

When it come to bodywork and paint work in most cases ---- you can't cheap the hangman.
    i thought he was starting with a new hitch.
    but you're right, if it's already rusty, blast it.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i thought he was starting with a new hitch.
    but you're right, if it's already rusty, blast it.
    I was wrong and you were right. I misread the original posters comments. Apparently he is planning on buying a new hitch and wants to protect it better than the factory paint/coating.

In that case he could just spray it with any quality single stage or base clear that will protect it much better than the factory coating.

If it is a brand new hitch, take it to the powder coaters. That will protect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post
    If it is a brand new hitch, take it to the powder coaters. That will protect it.
    I think that's part of the problem. A lot of trailer hitch receivers ARE powder coated from the factory.