TheCoatingStore.com

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Filler on wood

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    160

    Default Filler on wood

    I want to finish the edge of 3/4 inch plywood after it is cut. Is there a filler that will work on wood and stay bonded.

    Thanks, Rick

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    1,750

    Default

    the regular polyester fillers that we use for bodywork will bond perfectly to wood, i do it all the time. just be sure to blow it off well to get rid of any dust on the surface.
    b marler

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    45,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    the regular polyester fillers that we use for bodywork will bond perfectly to wood, i do it all the time. just be sure to blow it off well to get rid of any dust on the surface.
    You're right but polyester filler will chip a lot easier than fiberglass filler and if polyester filler is used along an edge that sees much traffic it could be a problem. However the poly is a lot easier to sand to the desired shape.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    1,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    You're right but polyester filler will chip a lot easier than fiberglass filler and if polyester filler is used along an edge that sees much traffic it could be a problem. However the poly is a lot easier to sand to the desired shape.
    that's a good point. i use fiberglass fillers too, depending on what i'm working on. on some exterior stuff i'll use epoxy thickened with wood flour or fine sawdust too. it's just harder to sand.
    b marler

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flathead48 View Post
    I want to finish the edge of 3/4 inch plywood after it is cut. Is there a filler that will work on wood and stay bonded.

    Thanks, Rick
    Why not just use wood filler.
    That's what it's for.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    45,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCCLARK View Post
    Why not just use wood filler.
    That's what it's for.
    If you're talking about the solvent based filler that I'm thinking of then it's best for filling cracks or scratches or small holes but not very good for building an edge or shape on a piece of wood.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    160

    Default Filler on wood

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If you're talking about the solvent based filler that I'm thinking of then it's best for filling cracks or scratches or small holes but not very good for building an edge or shape on a piece of wood.
    Thanks to all, sorry for double post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •