TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Filler on wood

Default Filler on wood

I want to finish the edge of 3/4 inch plywood after it is cut. Is there a filler that will work on wood and stay bonded.

Thanks, Rick

the regular polyester fillers that we use for bodywork will bond perfectly to wood, i do it all the time. just be sure to blow it off well to get rid of any dust on the surface.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    the regular polyester fillers that we use for bodywork will bond perfectly to wood, i do it all the time. just be sure to blow it off well to get rid of any dust on the surface.
    You're right but polyester filler will chip a lot easier than fiberglass filler and if polyester filler is used along an edge that sees much traffic it could be a problem. However the poly is a lot easier to sand to the desired shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    You're right but polyester filler will chip a lot easier than fiberglass filler and if polyester filler is used along an edge that sees much traffic it could be a problem. However the poly is a lot easier to sand to the desired shape.
    that's a good point. i use fiberglass fillers too, depending on what i'm working on. on some exterior stuff i'll use epoxy thickened with wood flour or fine sawdust too. it's just harder to sand.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by flathead48 View Post
    I want to finish the edge of 3/4 inch plywood after it is cut. Is there a filler that will work on wood and stay bonded.

Thanks, Rick
    Why not just use wood filler.
    That's what it's for.

Quote Originally Posted by JCCLARK View Post
    Why not just use wood filler.
    That's what it's for.
    If you're talking about the solvent based filler that I'm thinking of then it's best for filling cracks or scratches or small holes but not very good for building an edge or shape on a piece of wood.

Default Filler on wood

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If you're talking about the solvent based filler that I'm thinking of then it's best for filling cracks or scratches or small holes but not very good for building an edge or shape on a piece of wood.
    Thanks to all, sorry for double post