TheCoatingStore.com

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Cream Hardeners

  1. #1

    Default Cream Hardeners

    I need to buy a fresh tube of cream hardener and just wanted to confirm that the same hardener is used for both a short-strand fiberglass filler (USC Duraglas) and a polyester filler (Evercoat Rage Ultra Xtra)? Thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    45,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alanine View Post
    I need to buy a fresh tube of cream hardener and just wanted to confirm that the same hardener is used for both a short-strand fiberglass filler (USC Duraglas) and a polyester filler (Evercoat Rage Ultra Xtra)? Thank you.
    Yes, that's correct, it's the same hardener.

  3. #3

    Default

    Thank you, Len!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    19,369

    Default Also...

    Quote Originally Posted by Alanine View Post
    Thank you, Len!
    A good habit is to KNEAD your tube of hardener. Do this with the cap on and squeeze the tube contents side to side to mush the liquid that may have separated from the cream over time.

    This will give the hardener a proper consistency and perform as it should with the filler's needs.

    Henry

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    A good habit is to KNEAD your tube of hardener. Do this with the cap on and squeeze the tube contents side to side to mush the liquid that may have separated from the cream over time.

    This will give the hardener a proper consistency and perform as it should with the filler's needs.

    Henry
    Thanks Henry! Yes, I do that! I was mainly wondering if there is anything different about the hardener used for fiberglass-filled fillers like Duraglas - apparently not!

    I bought 1 gallon of Evercoat Rage Ultra Xtra 18 months ago, life got in the way, and I have never opened it. I now have a project and wondered if the filler was still good. I e-mailed Evercoat and they reckon 1 year is the shelf life. But others who have posted here reckon the life of the filler is much longer than that, especially if unopened. But not the hardener. So I bought a new tube of cream hardener. I opened the can of filler and gave it a good mix (for the first time) and it looks perfect - no separation/partitioning - very smooth. I am inclined to go ahead and use it. Thoughts? I will use it on a non-critical part first, just to make sure it cures

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    45,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alanine View Post
    Thanks Henry! Yes, I do that! I was mainly wondering if there is anything different about the hardener used for fiberglass-filled fillers like Duraglas - apparently not!

    I bought 1 gallon of Evercoat Rage Ultra Xtra 18 months ago, life got in the way, and I have never opened it. I now have a project and wondered if the filler was still good. I e-mailed Evercoat and they reckon 1 year is the shelf life. But others who have posted here reckon the life of the filler is much longer than that, especially if unopened. But not the hardener. So I bought a new tube of cream hardener. I opened the can of filler and gave it a good mix (for the first time) and it looks perfect - no separation/partitioning - very smooth. I am inclined to go ahead and use it. Thoughts? I will use it on a non-critical part first, just to make sure it cures
    You should be fine with those products.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •