TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: How to remove heavy primer overspray from panel

Default How to remove heavy primer overspray from panel

Hello. I have primer overspray in my Merc's door jam. I have tried using a grey medium clay bar and it has only taken off the eaiser part to remove. Has anyone had success using another product to remove primer without damaging the paint underneath?

IMG_9283.jpg

A clay bar is usually for just light overspray, I'd try a decent polishing compound first and if that isn't doing it use a fine grit wet sandpaper like 1500 grit then polish it with the compound.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    A clay bar is usually for just light overspray, I'd try a decent polishing compound first and if that isn't doing it use a fine grit wet sandpaper like 1500 grit then polish it with the compound.
    I'll try. Thanks Len

I use lacquer thinner. It may not work on epoxy that has been dry too long. It wonít hurt the clear coat if you wipe it off right away, donít let it sit wet too long.

Bob K

Try both methods sanding and thinner and let us know what works best for you.

Hi guys. I can confirm both thinner and 1500 grit worked. Thinner got about 70% off and the rest I wet sanded with 1500 grit. I burnt through to the original cars primer in 2 places but hopefully, the new coat will cover it no problem. Thanks again!