TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Question on rusty floorpans

Default Question on rusty floorpans

I have surface rust on my floor pans that I'm going to grind with a wire wheel and paint it with SPI epoxy. Do you think I should paint all of the floor pans and under the seat even though it has good paint and no rust? Thanks for any help

DS of new cab.jpg

Any part of floor that is rust free and retains a good surface coating just leave it alone. Your surface rust is most likely due to drinks being spilled in floor, wet/muddy shoes on carpet, etc., where moisture was retained by carpet pad and sat on surface of pan. Just be sure and check for any extension of rust both inside and out. Personally I would coat the inside pan with Zero Rust, but your SPI will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Any part of floor that is rust free and retains a good surface coating just leave it alone. Your surface rust is most likely due to drinks being spilled in floor, wet/muddy shoes on carpet, etc., where moisture was retained by carpet pad and sat on surface of pan. Just be sure and check for any extension of rust both inside and out. Personally I would coat the inside pan with Zero Rust, but your SPI will work.
    Thanks Ron but why Zero Rust?

Quote Originally Posted by IHJoe View Post
    Thanks Ron but why Zero Rust?
    If you happen to leave any rust behind after sanding it may return. Epoxy is a great product to keep this from happening but zero rust is a better product encapsulator.