TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Single Stage Clear Urethane for Airbrushing?

Default Single Stage Clear Urethane for Airbrushing?

Can anyone recommend a single stage clear urethane that doesn't use a hardener that I can use for airbrushing?

I build scale model cars and use BASF base coat lacquer and have been using clear lacquer as a top coat. The clear lacquer seems to constantly reduce down over time. I'm looking for an alternative like a urethane or even a waterborne clear that won't continue to reduce down.

I'm not setup to spray 2K clear so that's not an option.

I'm using a Grex airbrush with a trigger and a fan spray cap so it's basically a mini spray gun. With the .5 mm needle it sprays approximately a 4 inch fan pattern.

I tried Duplicolor 1K Clear Extreme Gloss Finish but it has a very slight yellow tint so it's no good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What do you mean by "reduce down"? Is it shrinking as it dries?

You can use a urethane clear with hardner when spraying with an air brush. Just keep over reducing until fan sprays a smooth pattern, extend your time beween coats and add a few extra coats. I think you will like the results. I have done this many times with my air brush using a #8 tip

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    What do you mean by "reduce down"? Is it shrinking as it dries?
    The clear lacquer does reduce, get thinner, as it cures. On a small project like a model it's more evident.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    You can use a urethane clear with hardner when spraying with an air brush. Just keep over reducing until fan sprays a smooth pattern, extend your time beween coats and add a few extra coats. I think you will like the results. I have done this many times with my air brush using a #8 tip
    I don't have the proper safety equipment to spray 2K urethane with the hardener. I'm looking for something, other than lacquer, that doesn't require a hardener.