TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: A small rusty patch on the trunk- how can I fix it?

Default A small rusty patch on the trunk- how can I fix it?

pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpg

Hi everyone,

Wanted to get an opinion on what can be done and/or how to do it.
    I have this half inch long rust-dent on the trunk made by an ice scrapper...
    I got an estimate on it - $600 and a 3 day work, which I don't really know if it's reasonable or not.

Is there a relatively easy way to clean the rust and apply some paint or a sticker or something to fix it by myself?
    I don't have any specialty tools on hand, so please suggest things that I can get and do by myself.
    The fix don't need to be perfect - just want to clean the rust as much as I can and cover it, so nothing will worsen.

Car: Silver 2015 Toyota Corolla

Thanks so much for all your help!
    Alex.

must have been a pretty heavy ice scraper to dent the top of the panel like that
    if you don't care what it looks like, just sand it out, hit it with some sort of rust converter like picklex or ospho, then put some primer on it. if you're not going to fix the little dent and paint to match, you could use some rustoleum rusty metal primer on it and then put your favorite bumper sticker over it.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by mode1111 View Post
    pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpg

Hi everyone,

Wanted to get an opinion on what can be done and/or how to do it.
    I have this half inch long rust-dent on the trunk made by an ice scrapper...
    I got an estimate on it - $600 and a 3 day work, which I don't really know if it's reasonable or not.

Is there a relatively easy way to clean the rust and apply some paint or a sticker or something to fix it by myself?
    I don't have any specialty tools on hand, so please suggest things that I can get and do by myself.
    The fix don't need to be perfect - just want to clean the rust as much as I can and cover it, so nothing will worsen.

Car: Silver 2015 Toyota Corolla

Thanks so much for all your help!
    Alex.
    $600 would be about right, it could go + or - $100.