TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Cleaning pre-paint

Default Cleaning pre-paint

Ok, I'm done with the undercoating and such. Now I need to wash down everything in the frame rails and engine area.

I'm thinking just some Dawn dishwashing liquid and water to sponge things down really well. This is to get all the dust and oils that have been floating around the shop for so long off the metal.

After that dries then scuff with red pad, wipe down with prep-all and re-spray the zero rust that was laid down 7 years ago and is a bit scratched up now.

Is the dawn a bad idea? I also have that industrial purple cleaner, maybe some simple green, brake cleaner, sulfuric acid.........

Dawn can do the job just be sure to rinse it well after washing, allow it to dry, blow it off well then apply the ZR.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post
    Ok, I'm done with the undercoating and such. Now I need to wash down everything in the frame rails and engine area.

I'm thinking just some Dawn dishwashing liquid and water to sponge things down really well. This is to get all the dust and oils that have been floating around the shop for so long off the metal.

After that dries then scuff with red pad, wipe down with prep-all and re-spray the zero rust that was laid down 7 years ago and is a bit scratched up now.

Is the dawn a bad idea? I also have that industrial purple cleaner, maybe some simple green, brake cleaner, sulfuric acid.........
    Use the Dawn as it does not contain silicone. You don't want silicone near your prep work. Save yourself a step and clean with Dawn using a scotch brite pad to scrub with. It deep cleans and help prep the surface.

Cool pointer, thanks.

I was originally thinking of something like optimum no rinse, or a detailing spray, but the more I thought of those the more I thought they might have silicone in them for lubricity.

Dawn it is.

Dawn is all you need.
    I always dry with a clean towel after washing,
    water does leave residues behind, some places
    in this country are worse than others.