TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Tools for the job

Default Tools for the job

Iím going to be retiring in a few years. Iím waiting to get all the tools I need to redo the old mustang. Iím wanting to strip the paint off the car. It has 2 paint jobs on it now. Whatís a good polisher/ sander for that job? I have a 30 year old Hutchison finish sander that still works. Whatís a good DA for sanding after I strip the paint off to get the metal ready for epoxy primer? After itís painted & itís wet sanded whatís a good polisher? I have paint guns & blocks so I donít need any of them.

Cool

This is what you want for stripping paint.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attach the strip discs to a 4-1/2" grinder (even a cheap HF $20 grinder will work) and you can strip the entire car to bare metal in 4 hours. Those discs work amazingly! After stripping, run over the whole car with some 80g on a D/A to provide good bite then shoot 2 medium coats of epoxy primer.

Just did it to my '54........

baremetal14.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco1ab View Post
    Iím going to be retiring in a few years. Iím waiting to get all the tools I need to redo the old mustang. Iím wanting to strip the paint off the car. It has 2 paint jobs on it now. Whatís a good polisher/ sander for that job? I have a 30 year old Hutchison finish sander that still works. Whatís a good DA for sanding after I strip the paint off to get the metal ready for epoxy primer? After itís painted & itís wet sanded whatís a good polisher? I have paint guns & blocks so I donít need any of them.
    We love our Makita for stripping and polishing and the AirVantage sanders are great for sanding prior to painting and prior to polishing.

We've been using these two tools almost daily for many years and they still work great.

Quote Originally Posted by evintho View Post

Attach the strip discs to a 4-1/2" grinder (even a cheap HF $20 grinder will work) and you can strip the entire car to bare metal in 4 hours. Those discs work amazingly! After stripping, run over the whole car with some 80g on a D/A to provide good bite then shoot 2 medium coats of epoxy primer.

baremetal14.jpg
    I stripped my whole truck using stripper discs as well. Different brand but same results. No heat so no distortion of the metal.
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by evintho View Post

baremetal14.jpg
    I respectfully disagree. Using anything that has an rpm higher than a 1000 rpm is a bad choice for stripping paint. The problem with the grinders is they turn too fast which causes friction heat, which causes the paint to "melt" which plugs up the discs and ends up a lot more time, effort and materials to get the job done. It goes even further than that, the heat generated from those high rpm sanders/grinders can also warp the metal.

The number one choices of professional bodymen for stripping paint is the Makita variable speed buffer like the Makita 9227C, Milwaukee also makes an excellent variable speed buffer as does DeWalt. (a couple foreign brands are good also).

My personal choice for stripping paint is the air operated National Detroit 8 inch "mud hog" called the DA900. It is not a DA in the normal sense. It is an 8" geared orbital sander that does an excellent job of stripping paint as well as working with filler. A must have tool in my shop.

Iím looking at the airvantage DAs. I see thereís 2 one is a 3/16 throw the other is 3/32 witch one is better for sanding bear metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco1ab View Post
    Iím looking at the airvantage DAs. I see thereís 2 one is a 3/16 throw the other is 3/32 witch one is better for sanding bear metal.
    We use both, the 3/16 for more coating removal or leveling primer and the 3/32 for leveling orange peel before buffing.

Thanks for all the input

Default Yes sir...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Using anything that has an rpm higher than a 1000 rpm is a bad choice for stripping paint. The problem with the grinders is they turn too fast which causes friction heat, which causes the paint to "melt" which plugs up the discs and ends up a lot more time, effort and materials to get the job done. It goes even further than that, the heat generated from those high rpm sanders/grinders can also warp the metal.

The number one choices of professional bodymen for stripping paint is the Makita variable speed buffer like the Makita 9227C, Milwaukee also makes an excellent variable speed buffer as does DeWalt. (a couple foreign brands are good also).

My personal choice for stripping paint is the air operated National Detroit 8 inch "mud hog" called the DA900. It is not a DA in the normal sense. It is an 8" geared orbital sander that does an excellent job of stripping paint as well as working with filler. A must have tool in my shop.
    Yes sir, Phil, you hit that nail so squarely on the head it went in with one swing.

Both tools you suggested are the absolute GO TO items. I have two MUD HOGS and would never part with either. The HOG and the MAKITA 9227C get the job done running near half speed allowing the paper to do the work.

Another advantage is the MAKITA doubles as your finishing tool for better buffing because starting capabilities and at low, low RPM you could stand on the machine and it won't DIE like other cheap stuff.

Great call, Phil!

Henry

I agree, I have a lot of air sanders that work well but for stripping a large area
    I'll grab my electric buffer first and it works best on slower speeds.

If I want to use an air sander, I have and use a National Detroit one they call a "grinder".
    It's a typical air sander similar to a DA but it only rotates, no dual action so
    it is much more aggressive than a DA. It strips really well.
    I slow it down too. It does use a lot of air.