TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Please help with scratch on exhaust

Default Please help with scratch on exhaust

hello,
    On this motorcycle exhaust, I got a scratch and i could see bare metal. so I bought " Rust-Oleum Specialty Automotive High Heat Paint in Flat Black, Spray Can for automotiv" as its "flat black" color.
    https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...c=Flat%20Black

I sanded the area to make it smooth with 400 grit and then I sprayed above Rustoleum product while exhaust was cold. After the spray dried it turned gray though the product says its flat black.

I even tired spraying while the exhaust was hot but same color gray is turning up

I also shook the can 1 minute prior to use.

Sprayed area turned more gray as compare to exhaust:-

^^^Sprayed area turned more gray as compare to exhaust. ^^^

I have no idea what to do, I do have a spray gun and compressor, if it takes to paint with spray gun to match and fix the scratch i will do it.

Please can someone guide me on

1 why Rustoleum is not turning flat black ?
    2 how to match color as close as possible?
    3 if not spray can then which color to buy or another brand high temperature spray can will do?
    4 what is the actual color on this exhaust? how to find it?

This is the motorcycle exhaust.:-

^^^This is the motorcycle exhaust.^^^^

Thank you

Was the humidity really high when you painted that ? Humidity can cause paint to "blush" which means it turns gray regardless of what color it started out as.

Either way I would try a different brand of high temp satin black.

I've owned and ridden a couple Triump Tridents (3 cyclinder) bikes. Nice bikes, they pulled like a freight train.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    Was the humidity really high when you painted that ? Humidity can cause paint to "blush" which means it turns gray regardless of what color it started out as.

Either way I would try a different brand of high temp satin black.

I've owned and ridden a couple Triump Tridents (3 cyclinder) bikes. Nice bikes, they pulled like a freight train.
    hey thanks for replying Phil,

I have no idea about how much humidity, how to reduce it if its high?

how much the humidity should be?

which brand do you recommend now ?

Regards

If this were mine I would have my jobber assist me or go straight to an autobody paint outlet. You need a thermo cycling paint that obviously is high heat resistant. I have used the POR-15 44118 flat black high temp paint, one of the very few products I will use from a rattle can, on a FlowMaster exhaust muffler, but it isn't going to match your existing set up. A jobber/outlet is your best shot for color match and proper product.

That is one nice ride and I personally think your asking to much from a rattle can product on this ride. However, I know others here have had success with them, I'm just not a fan of rattle can anything but that could be my failure to learn.