TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Eraser Wheels for vinyl removal?

Default Eraser Wheels for vinyl removal?

Anybody have experience with any of the 3M or other brand Eraser wheels? I was going to pick up a 3M wheel & I see there are a pile of them available now.
    3M wheel is about 2-3x the price of the others, but maybe its a better product.
    This question is focused more on vinyl graphics removal rather that molding adhesive, but I would image its a similar process?

I have always done the heat gun & adhesive solvents in the past, but really don't want to spend a day doing it the old hard way if these wheels really work.

Thanks!

I use them on vinyl. They work well. My newest truck had vinyl stripes on the sides and I removed them with the rubber wheel. I made a mistake, the wheel was getting used up and I just had one fender to go. I thought I should wait until tomorrow and get a new wheel but I wanted it done so I went ahead and the steel backing plate scratched the paint. The backing plate is buried in rubber so you canít see how close it is to the surface. On the bright side, that fender had a small dent and it was getting painted anyway, but it's not a good idea to make more work than you need to do. A small spot repair became an entire fender repair. I could have pushed a pin into the back of the wheel to find the extent of the backing plate.

Bob K

Bob, what brand did you use?

Not sure but 3M is one of my favorites and if it was in the store thatís what I get.

Bob K

Quote Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
    Anybody have experience with any of the 3M or other brand Eraser wheels? I was going to pick up a 3M wheel & I see there are a pile of them available now.
    3M wheel is about 2-3x the price of the others, but maybe its a better product.
    This question is focused more on vinyl graphics removal rather that molding adhesive, but I would image its a similar process?

I have always done the heat gun & adhesive solvents in the past, but really don't want to spend a day doing it the old hard way if these wheels really work.

Thanks!
    Eraser wheels work fine as long as you're careful. It's easy to damage the paint if you allow the wheel to get the surface too hot. The multi-layer 3M wheel used on a buffer works great for big jobs but we sell them for $110.

The 3M Strip Remover works well and sells for around $40

There are also less expensive products available but it's a crap shoot as to how well they do the job without damaging the surface.

I have a 3m wheel and like it. For small jobs a pink pet (school kid) eraser works well also.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Eraser wheels work fine as long as you're careful. It's easy to damage the paint if you allow the wheel to get the surface too hot. The multi-layer 3M wheel used on a buffer works great for big jobs but we sell them for $110.

The 3M Strip Remover works well and sells for around $40

There are also less expensive products available but it's a crap shoot as to how well they do the job without damaging the surface.
    Do you have a link for the multi layered wheel? I was wondering if that would work on a very old wrap job that is cracking away. It's on a small car(Geo).
    Thanks
    dlm ny country

Quote Originally Posted by dlmrun2002 View Post
    Do you have a link for the multi layered wheel? I was wondering if that would work on a very old wrap job that is cracking away. It's on a small car(Geo).
    Thanks
    dlm ny country
    Click on the picture. If anything will work this is the tool.

Default Eraser Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Click on the picture. If anything will work this is the tool.

Thanks for the quick ship on the large decal remover. Works very nicely. Just had to get a 5/8 thread coupler for my Makita. Thought I had one in my Makita bag but couldn't find it.

dlm ny country

Quote Originally Posted by dlmrun2002 View Post
    Thanks for the quick ship on the large decal remover. Works very nicely. Just had to get a 5/8 thread coupler for my Makita. Thought I had one in my Makita bag but couldn't find it.

dlm ny country
    Good, glad it worked for you. I haven't found anything better for removing vinyl graphics.