TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Sagola 4600 Xtreme needle

Default Sagola 4600 Xtreme needle

I have several tips for my Sagola 4600 and tonight I was getting ready to switch out the tip from a 1.3 to the 1.3 xl for a spray out and got the needles mixed up, geez...really. Looking at the inscribed markings on the 1.2xl, 1.3 and 1.3xl needles they all show 1218. I mic'ed the needles and they all come up the same, however I have no way to mic the very tip. Anybody know if all their needles are the same size or at least for my tip sizes? I looked through the Sagola catalog but there was no answer to this.

Default Sagola tips

Good news is I just finished the spray out (1:00 am) with no problems. In the end I just grab a needle and threw it into the gun as I knew this was going to be a long night and needed to get started. I was a bit skeptical to start as the materials alone for this job was near 3K and didn't want to start off wrong. I typically shoot a dedicated sealer when doing a complete spray out, however tonight we used the PPG DP50LF primer in it's place which went unbelievably great. Using the Sagola 4600 Xtreme with a 1.3xl tip and over reducing by 20% (TDS calls for optional 5% over reduction with acetone), the primer absolutely shot like glass. I have never had epoxy primer, when used as a seal coat, shoot this well. My typical go to sealer is PPG DAS30XX mixed to correct G shade which always shoots great, lays almost like water on glass. Using the over reduced DPLF I extended the flash time to 45 minutes between the 2 coats of sealer and BC. I think I am finally getting the hang of this Sagola when looking to shoot high end builds.

I have an email into Sagola (Spain) asking them to clarify their needle sizing vs tip sizing. I am hoping they use the same needle for all their tips as it would make life easier. The 34' Chevy 2 dr street rod I shot tonight (actually today as it is after 1 am) leaves the shop at noon tomorrow (today) for Arizona, just hope they take care when loading.

I hope you got some pictures. Love reading about your experience.
    Building my dream one piece at a time.