TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Wet sand using DA??

Default Wet sand using DA??

Hello! Some of you may remember my saddlebag project a while back. This is essentially a continuation of that project. The parts you see in the pics all have the HD Luxury Rich Red applied, and 3 coats of clear. I didn't do all that great a job with either, really. No drips or runs, but orange peel. Next step is to sand the clear prior to applying the flames and pinstriping. I know I'll be wet sanding the clear smooth, starting with 320, then 400 and finally 600 prior to flames and striping. My question is, if you were doing this job on these parts, would you do it with a DA with a thick, soft, intermediate pad? I have a 3/4" thick, soft foam intermediate pad which conforms pretty well, but these parts are almost all curves. Also, I'm not sure a bout wet sanding with a DA at all... Good idea? Bad idea? Would love some thoughts from experienced guys, please!

20210918_143518[1].jpg20210918_143530[1].jpg

I almost never use a DA for leveling orange peel, I use a hard or soft block and hand sand before painting or polishing. Using a rubber squeegee to remove the water allows you to see if you've achieved removal of the peel.

Hand sanding is always better, but for a machine, you're better off with a random orbital,
    it's less aggressive, and at a slower speed they work pretty good.
    I use an electric one and dry sand with it for clear.

Quote Originally Posted by JCCLARK View Post
    Hand sanding is always better, but for a machine, you're better off with a random orbital,
    it's less aggressive, and at a slower speed they work pretty good.
    I use an electric one and dry sand with it for clear.
    The problem is that using a machine on a curved surfaces it's difficult to "level" the surface evenly. Using a DA/orbital sander even with an interface pad can cut unevenly on those rounded shapes.

Thank you both for your helpful input. Hand sanding it is, with a soft block.