TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Picklex20 Application Procedure and Lead Time?

Default Picklex20 Application Procedure and Lead Time?

Good morning everyone - I'm working on the restoration of a 1957 Ford Model 640 tractor. I'm at the point now where I am just days away from shooting paint (hopefully) and fighting the calendar to boot (since its getting a little cooler each day here in Michigan), but I continue to have repeat issues with flash rust. The vast majority of the parts I am going to be painting are cast iron and steel, with a few exceptions of course.

I have completely removed all paint from the chassis and bolt-on parts and the tractor is "in the white" right now. I am concerned that I am using the Picklex incorrectly - Reading advice from Len and others here, once I would strip a part down to bare metal, I would spray Picklex on, scrub it in with a green abrasive pad, then wipe it off and dry the entire part with compressed air. I've been frustrated and a little disappointed in the product because no matter what I try, one to two days later there is flash rust or some kind of residue on the parts. In fact, I have actually had better results on other parts using the $6 Rustoleum Rust Dissolver gel from Walmart. Before applying the Picklex, I have decreased, scrubbed, cleaned, and done everything possible to have everything as sparkling clean as possible, so I'm stumped.

So my question is application - am I doing something wrong? Or is the Picklex intended to be applied JUST (within hour(s)) before I spray epoxy primer and not meant to protect for more than a few hours? There are a lot of parts that have to be split apart and painted off of the tractor just because it would be impossible to get full coverage and angles with the radius rods, hydraulic pump, etc. bolted on. Trying to time everything to be cleaned and rust-free by the time I start running the gun is proving to be difficult. I'm not sure that its a huge deal since ill be spraying epoxy over it but I really want to do it right. I'm hoping someone could provide a little clarification or a good procedure for this particular application. For reference, as far as my overall project goes, the plan was to use PPG MP170 Epoxy primer, hit it with a Deltron color-matched basecoat, and then MC250 clear....then begin the fun reassembly process.

Thanks!

You shouldn't be getting any flash rust as long as the Picklex coated metal doesn't get wet. The Picklex can wash off if it gets rained on. However I've never used compressor air to dry the Picklex so I don't know the variables that it may introduce into the process. We normally spray it on, work it in, let it sit for a couple minutes then wipe it off with paper towels and allow it to dry before applying primer. Remember to scuff lightly before priming and only prime with with an epoxy primer that contains NO ACID. Primers that contain acid usually won't adhere well to the Picklex treated surface.

Again, Picklex will wash off with water but the metal shouldn't flash rust if allowed to sit in a dry location.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    You shouldn't be getting any flash rust as long as the Picklex coated metal doesn't get wet. The Picklex can wash off if it gets rained on. However I've never used compressor air to dry the Picklex so I don't know the variables that it may introduce into the process. We normally spray it on, work it in, let it sit for a couple minutes then wipe it off with paper towels and allow it to dry before applying primer. Remember to scuff lightly before priming and only prime with with an epoxy primer that contains NO ACID. Primers that contain acid usually won't adhere well to the Picklex treated surface.

Again, Picklex will wash off with water but the metal shouldn't flash rust if allowed to sit in a dry location.
    Thanks Len - that is what I thought too, it really threw me off when I saw the flash rust. It sounds like I need to apply it right before the primer though, and not wait around....or at least prime within a few hours. One final question related to this, should I use the Picklex before or after my wax and grease remover application?

Quote Originally Posted by kingsley73 View Post
    Thanks Len - that is what I thought too, it really threw me off when I saw the flash rust. It sounds like I need to apply it right before the primer though, and not wait around....or at least prime within a few hours. One final question related to this, should I use the Picklex before or after my wax and grease remover application?
    Clean the metal first then apply the Picklex.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Clean the metal first then apply the Picklex.
    Thanks again Len, I really appreciate it. ! As a fun side note, I just ran to the local paint store and was quoted $1,384 dollars for a gallon of Deltron in red.....so, guess who's now painting basecoat with Shop Line? I nearly choked on my tongue when they told me the price.

Have a fantastic weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by kingsley73 View Post
    Thanks again Len, I really appreciate it. ! As a fun side note, I just ran to the local paint store and was quoted $1,384 dollars for a gallon of Deltron in red.....so, guess who's now painting basecoat with Shop Line? I nearly choked on my tongue when they told me the price.

Have a fantastic weekend!
    Good paint normally costs more and red is usually more expensive than other colors. I just paid $200 for a PINT of red.