TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Topcoat over ZeroRust

Hybrid View

Default Topcoat over ZeroRust

My understanding that for UV protection, ZeroRust requires a topcoat.

Any recommendations for what satin black paint?

KBS Coatings makes chassis paint, among many others…

Would their chassis black paint be compatible? Is there a specific paint I should use?

I am new to painting and am restoring a 74 Bronco. Will pick chassis and various other parts up from sand blaster Friday. Intend to do any repairs/clean up and then spray.

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks

You might consider powder coat for your frame if no problems exist when you get it back from blaster. Ask your blaster if they are applying a flash rust preventive coating after blasting. I have done several powder coated frames after blasting and the most I have ever paid was $600. However, if going this route you need to consider any additional work needed on the chassis as you will not match the powder coating if touch up is required.
    I typically use Zero Rust for frames and do not apply a top coating as it will not be exposed to UV rays once body is mounted. On one project I did have a frame that required sitting outside for 3 or 4 months exposed to the sun. On that project I waited about 2 or 3 weeks, roughed the surface with 600g and shot it with a single stage black (gloss). My thinking is the SS may chip but the Zero Rust will be tougher to get through. I wouldn't hesitate to do it in the exact same fashion under the same scenario, however if I have to do it again I will simply cover and protect from UV until body can be mounted.