TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Can I add Shopline hardener to Rustoleum?

Default Can I add Shopline hardener to Rustoleum?

Hey guys,

I have some engine sheet metal I am painting gloss black. I have a quart of Rustoleum industrial oil based enamel in gloss black and a left over pint of opened JH6002 enamel hardener which is for Shopline Acrylic Enamels. There is a shelf life on the hardener and I would like to use it with the Rustoleum if compatible. The Rustoleum is obviously oil or Alkyd and the Shopline is Acrylic based.
    Can anyone give me the answer if it is or not?

Also I was thinking of using a 4-1-1 mix ratio as that is what Shopline JE was and figured would be close enough.

What ya'all think
    T

Quote Originally Posted by bastardbus View Post
    Hey guys,

I have some engine sheet metal I am painting gloss black. I have a quart of Rustoleum industrial oil based enamel in gloss black and a left over pint of opened JH6002 enamel hardener which is for Shopline Acrylic Enamels. There is a shelf life on the hardener and I would like to use it with the Rustoleum if compatible. The Rustoleum is obviously oil or Alkyd and the Shopline is Acrylic based.
    Can anyone give me the answer if it is or not?

Also I was thinking of using a 4-1-1 mix ratio as that is what Shopline JE was and figured would be close enough.

What ya'all think
    T
    It's hard to say if that mix wil work because I haven't used if but if I wanted it I'd mix a little together in a cup and let it sit for a day or two to see if the paint hardens.

Well, I figured I would try it. Sprayed a vent window frame and another a small test piece. It looks godd but after a good hour now it still is wet. My guess is there is difference between the Acrylic and Alkyd formulations in these enamel paints and thus use a different catalyst.

I know most folks adding hardner have went with valspar or majic enamel hardener that IS designed to go with oil based alkyd enamels. I just figured I would save myself $20 and put this stuff to use if it would work.

Will update on results.

T

Default UPDATE

So it has been 24 hours and surprisingly the hardener/paint finally kicked and seems the JH6002 worked with the rustoleum. it took longer then I expected but it worked. Took my thumb and pressed it hard as possible into the paint and no thumb print. LOL, She is still smooth and glassy. That never happens with uncatalyzed rustoleum until it is about a 6 months to a year old and then it is still soft to an extent.

Someone on YouTube recommended using Japan Drier next time which will speed up drying time. Anyone out there tried that stuff? I have heard of it but never had the opportunity to use it.

Anyhow, hope this helps someone down the road in same spot I was.

Quote Originally Posted by bastardbus View Post
    So it has been 24 hours and surprisingly the hardener/paint finally kicked and seems the JH6002 worked with the rustoleum. it took longer then I expected but it worked. Took my thumb and pressed it hard as possible into the paint and no thumb print. LOL, She is still smooth and glassy. That never happens with uncatalyzed rustoleum until it is about a 6 months to a year old and then it is still soft to an extent.

Someone on YouTube recommended using Japan Drier next time which will speed up drying time. Anyone out there tried that stuff? I have heard of it but never had the opportunity to use it.

Anyhow, hope this helps someone down the road in same spot I was.
    i use generic acrylic enamel hardener with rustoleum, one shot, and many other industrial paints. it definitely helps it harden and retain more gloss. rustoleum and industrial enamels can remain soft for a very long time. generally it's not a problem, but sometimes you need to rig something for lifting and you don't want the straps to tear the paint off. japan drier will help it dry quicker, but won't harden the paint like real iso hardener will.
    air flow is what helps it kick, and temperature will help too, but good air flow is the biggest help if you want to speed up the cure.
    b marler

I've used a bit of rustoleum by the quart through a paint gun. I usually thin with naptha and use valspar or equivalent hardener. Used to get it from tractor supply, but they switched from valspar to mystic.... haven't tried the mystic hardener, but I know I didn't like their enamel paint.