TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: body panel short cuts

Default body panel short cuts

So I am not a professional and I have not seen 'all the short cuts' but I have seen a few rockers filled with spray foam or heard of chicken wire used to hold filler......I am sure the pros here have seen much more, but check this out....

I am sanding the lower portion of the corner behind the wheel well down to the metal. There are these mini-spots all over maybe a 3 inch by 3 inch square. I could feel them by hand but could not really sand nor grind them away.

Checking the back side of the panel I found the source. The guy that painted this truck in 1994 used something like JB Weld or one of its equivalents to back fill pin hole rust. The back of the panel is lined with the epoxy type material. I guess as the excess pushed thru the holes it was sanded down, skim coated and til now know one ever knew the difference.

Not being a body guy I would think that would have rusted more, and bubbled the paint after 25+ years but I guess it held up over the years.

I felt sort of bad cutting it out and replacing the section.

Just a funny to start the week.

Scott

any pictures.?
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

Well, if the area with pin holes was blasted/dipped clean (no rust) and areas were structural sound still. You could use something like an epoxy filler etc to fill the pin holes. Then do your body and paint over and it will work. Especially if this is a show car that is stored inside and does not see a lot of bad weather.

I recently was doing preservation work on a 70 vw bus It is 90% original paint and owner wanted to save that. So I detailed, buffed it out looked great. But when we pulled the glass to replace the old rotted window rubbers we found some heavy surface rust in seal areas. This rust is hidden by the rubber so we could repair just those areas and still retain all the original paint. But we could not really cut the areas out and weld in no panels as this would disturb the original paint. So we masked off and spot blasted the seal areas clean. This did leave a few pin holes, maybe half dozen at most but rest of the steel was solid. We then treated the area with Ospho just to make sure anything left was dead. Then epoxy primed over that. Believe it or not the epoxy primer filled majority of the pin holes up. The rest were filled in with a skim of filler we used to smooth out the pits etc. We primed with more epoxy (kirker enduro prime) let it sit 2-3 days cam back and lightly wet sanded the are and then painted. Re installed the new rubber seals and no looks perfect.

So yeah...if someone did it "right" that stuff may be fine. Your problem is knowing if someone did it "right" or they just put JB weld straight over the rust.

Here are some pics of the job,

T

I'm not sure why the owner would want to keep that paint, it would be my recommendation to convert the rust, prime and paint the entire van using a good acrylic urethane. That old paint is starting to go so a good urethane will look the same and hold up much better.

Other then that rear driver corner that had an ancient dent repair the entire bus is original paint and patina. Original paint with that patina look is a HUGE thing, at least in the Vintage VW crowd and is quite in demand. In many cases will bring a higher premium then one with a nice repaint.

On the Amazon of VW sites "The Samba" the forums there have extensive threads on reclaiming original paint. People will discuss methods and techniques to remove consecutive layers of old repaints from the years (much like we discuss paint and body techniques here) to get down to the original paint. There are some really talent folks and artists doing this! It is pretty crazy but I appreciate and do like it as well!

There are many levels to it, some guys will wet sand the original paint and surface rust and seal it with clear coat. Some ill use other products or home remedies to preserve the surface rust and original paint to protect it from elements and keep it from going further. Pretty interesting stuff the extent they go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I'm not sure why the owner would want to keep that paint, it would be my recommendation to convert the rust, prime and paint the entire van using a good acrylic urethane. That old paint is starting to go so a good urethane will look the same and hold up much better.

Quote Originally Posted by bastardbus View Post
    Other then that rear driver corner that had an ancient dent repair the entire bus is original paint and patina. Original paint with that patina look is a HUGE thing, at least in the Vintage VW crowd and is quite in demand. In many cases will bring a higher premium then one with a nice repaint.

On the Amazon of VW sites "The Samba" the forums there have extensive threads on reclaiming original paint. People will discuss methods and techniques to remove consecutive layers of old repaints from the years (much like we discuss paint and body techniques here) to get down to the original paint. There are some really talent folks and artists doing this! It is pretty crazy but I appreciate and do like it as well!

There are many levels to it, some guys will wet sand the original paint and surface rust and seal it with clear coat. Some ill use other products or home remedies to preserve the surface rust and original paint to protect it from elements and keep it from going further. Pretty interesting stuff the extent they go to.
    By saying that they want to keep the "patina" look are you saying a dullness brought on my aging? If so then adding a small amount of flattening agent may give you the right result but you would need to spray test panels changing the amount of the flattener until you get the result you want.

Also wouldn't clear coating remove that patina look?

By saying that they want to keep the "patina" look are you saying a dullness brought on my aging? If so then adding a small amount of flattening agent may give you the right result but you would need to spray test panels changing the amount of the flattener until you get the result you want.

No, you can not fake patina. Well...you can but it is very obvious and well, looks fake. In fact they call it "FATINA", It is laughed at, looked down upon. You can not substitute flattening agent to try and mimic 60 years of sun, wear and tear on an original factory, oven baked finish. And I have to say I agree with them.

Here is a good thread filled with pictures of original paint, patina vehicles from The Samba the huge VW site where this isvery popular.
    https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vi...187156&=patina

Here are a couple good examples of the original paint/patina look.
    283836.jpg244292.jpg

And here is an example of the clear coated patina some of these guys do. Myself, I think this looks ridiculous. If you want that beat up old patina look, why on earth would you clear coat it to a high gloss. None the less, just shows the crazy things that go on in vintage car collecting.
    50400826782_ff4c8f7073_c.jpg50400811427_61fcb2fa6b_c.jpg

If you search the internet there are Youtube videos, forums and discussions on how to retain and preserve old patina'ed original paint as well as info on how to remove layers of repaints to down to the original paint. Very interesting stuff. Myself I ran a resto shop until I retired a few years back, so I love beautiful body and paint work first and foremost BUT I do appreciate the look and difficulty finding old vehicles with nicely patina-ed old original paint.
    Last edited by bastardbus; 09-15-2021 at 11:09 PM.

there's no figuring out the vw crowd len, they've always been on the fringe...i like shiny, they like rust and pinholes. those old busses go for stupid money now, sure wish i still had the old split window i bought for $25.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    there's no figuring out the vw crowd len, they've always been on the fringe...i like shiny, they like rust and pinholes. those old busses go for stupid money now, sure wish i still had the old split window i bought for $25.
    Yep, I had a couple of them but always painted them to look new not old.