TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Orbital long board?

Default Orbital long board?

Anybody else like these? I'm just a hobbyist and haven't been doing any body related stuff for years. Now projects have piled up and I started on my 56 Dodge PU. Rusty fenders, headlight buckets, header panel, floor boards, dents in doors etc. Lots of work. Then I'll start the repaint on my 97 F150 that I bought new. then the blistered clean on the minivan.

Anyway, everyone uses the straight line long boards for rougher work, and I have two, a good CP, and an import. I also have an old Hutchins orbital. I've always used the straight line for flattening filler with coarse grits, then switched to the orbital with 80, 120 and 180 for preping for primer.

Primer was always blocked by hand. Now that I'm older I'd like to reduce the blocking time. What is your collective opinion of using it with 400 as a next to last step before final hand blocking.

I had forgotten how much lighter it was until working on these fenders.

Quote Originally Posted by KenCombs View Post
    Anybody else like these? I'm just a hobbyist and haven't been doing any body related stuff for years. Now projects have piled up and I started on my 56 Dodge PU. Rusty fenders, headlight buckets, header panel, floor boards, dents in doors etc. Lots of work. Then I'll start the repaint on my 97 F150 that I bought new. then the blistered clean on the minivan.

Anyway, everyone uses the straight line long boards for rougher work, and I have two, a good CP, and an import. I also have an old Hutchins orbital. I've always used the straight line for flattening filler with coarse grits, then switched to the orbital with 80, 120 and 180 for preping for primer.

Primer was always blocked by hand. Now that I'm older I'd like to reduce the blocking time. What is your collective opinion of using it with 400 as a next to last step before final hand blocking.

I had forgotten how much lighter it was until working on these fenders.
    If you have large flat areas you could use the long board orbital to help reduce the labor time, just be sure to use a guide coat so you see the results.