TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Stripped car with strip discs. Should I sand before epoxy primer?

Hybrid View

Cool Stripped car with strip discs. Should I sand before epoxy primer?

Just finished stripping the '54 to bare metal using the Blackhawk strip discs. Most of the body work is done. Next up will be 2 coats of epoxy primer . The strip discs leave a smooth finish. Should I hit the bare metal with something like 150 grit to promote adhesion for the epoxy primer?

baremetal2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by evintho View Post
    Just finished stripping the '54 to bare metal using the Blackhawk strip discs. Most of the body work is done. Next up will be 2 coats of epoxy primer . The strip discs leave a smooth finish. Should I hit the bare metal with something like 150 grit to promote adhesion for the epoxy primer?

baremetal2.jpg
    Yes the metal should have some kind of tooth to it so that the primer has more to hold on to.

Cool

150g, 80g, something else?

Quote Originally Posted by evintho View Post
    150g, 80g, something else?
    150 to 180 will work, 80 will probably be overkill. Direct to metal primer is good but you'll probably want to shoot it with a coat or two of filler primer then guide coat and block sand with 400 or 600 wet depending on the top coat paint you're using.

Cool

Thanks! Plans are to hit it with 150g, epoxy prime, wait a couple of days and scuff with 220g, spray some Slicksand, block with 180g followed by 240g, then a few coats of 2K urethane primer.

Default Our latest project

We've been spraying a lot of Slick Sand but on this job we'll probably have a lot of bare metal and plan on spraying Optex because we won't need to use epoxy primer before we spray Optex, it's a direct-to-metal primer that is great for filling over scratches and body work.