TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Stripped car with strip discs. Should I sand before epoxy primer?

Cool Stripped car with strip discs. Should I sand before epoxy primer?

Just finished stripping the '54 to bare metal using the Blackhawk strip discs. Most of the body work is done. Next up will be 2 coats of epoxy primer . The strip discs leave a smooth finish. Should I hit the bare metal with something like 150 grit to promote adhesion for the epoxy primer?

baremetal2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by evintho View Post
    Just finished stripping the '54 to bare metal using the Blackhawk strip discs. Most of the body work is done. Next up will be 2 coats of epoxy primer . The strip discs leave a smooth finish. Should I hit the bare metal with something like 150 grit to promote adhesion for the epoxy primer?

baremetal2.jpg
    Yes the metal should have some kind of tooth to it so that the primer has more to hold on to.

Cool

150g, 80g, something else?

150g, 80g, something else?
    150 to 180 will work, 80 will probably be overkill. Direct to metal primer is good but you'll probably want to shoot it with a coat or two of filler primer then guide coat and block sand with 400 or 600 wet depending on the top coat paint you're using.

Cool

Thanks! Plans are to hit it with 150g, epoxy prime, wait a couple of days and scuff with 220g, spray some Slicksand, block with 180g followed by 240g, then a few coats of 2K urethane primer.

Default Our latest project

We've been spraying a lot of Slick Sand but on this job we'll probably have a lot of bare metal and plan on spraying Optex because we won't need to use epoxy primer before we spray Optex, it's a direct-to-metal primer that is great for filling over scratches and body work.

Cool

Thanks Len! I already have a gallon of DTM Epoxy so I might as well use that. One other question. Do I really need to wait 3 days for the epoxy to dry so I can scuff it or, can I just apply the Slicksand directly over the epoxy within its recoat window?

Thanks Len! I already have a gallon of DTM Epoxy so I might as well use that. One other question. Do I really need to wait 3 days for the epoxy to dry so I can scuff it or, can I just apply the Slicksand directly over the epoxy within its recoat window?
    I use feather fill in this fashion all the time but haven't tried it with slick sand. I'm with Len, shoot the Optex 4:1 DTM product and save your epoxy. You will use your epoxy before this project is over. If your epoxy is a quality product you can use it for your sealer prior to BC unless your paint code color calls for a specific G sealer.

Just apply the SS over the epoxy within the recoat window. Depending on the epoxy and the temperature you can probably apply the SS a few hours after the epoxy.

What brand/type of Epoxy are you using?

I use two different Epoxies.

The PPG, I can shoot BC the same day that I shoot the epoxy.

The Tamco 66X series requires at least an overnight dry time prior to topcoating.

Cool

I'm using Summit Racings DTM Epoxy. I'm pretty sure their paint is rebranded Kirker products. The directions state flash time for multiple coats is 60 min and the recoat window is up to 4 days. I just want my Slicksand to stick!

I'm using Summit Racings DTM Epoxy. I'm pretty sure their paint is rebranded Kirker products. The directions state flash time for multiple coats is 60 min and the recoat window is up to 4 days. I just want my Slicksand to stick!
    The TDS for that product matches the same as the PPG epoxy that I use;

TOPCOAT:
    Allow 30 minutes after one coat of epoxy
    Allow 60 minutes after multiple coats

So, shoot your epoxy, wait an hour (or more) and shoot your High Build.

If you have already shot the epoxy and it has been more than a day, I would shoot a thinned down recoat of the epoxy followed by the HB.