TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single Stage Paint Issue??

Default Single Stage Paint Issue??

I painted the car with single stage paint mixed at 4:1:1, using a slow activator( currently 90°+ in East Texas). My gun is set with 27 PSI and a 1.5 mm tip. I did 3 coats with 10 minutes between. The paint seems dull and blotchy. Is this all user error? How should I proceed to fix this?

Back.jpgIMG_0944.jpgfront.jpg

At first look it appears to be an application problem. Either the gun is not functioning properly or the paint is not being applied so that it flows into a smooth coating. Now that you have that problem you'll probably need to either sand it level then polish or sand it level and apply more paint. What type of spray gun are you using and what paint is it?

that temperature is pretty high. you might have the paint drying too much on it's way to the surface. when temps are that high you really need to adjust your technique to be sure it's laying out smoothly. check your surface temp with a ir gun if you have one too, sometimes it's just too hot to paint.
    i have, at times, painted very early in the morning so i could get the surface temp i needed. just be mindful of the humidity so you don't trade one problem for another.
    b marler

It is the Summit racing single stage red and the reducer and activator is also Summit brand. The gun is a Neiko 31214A HVLP 1.5 mm.

Since that is a solid color hopefully you can sand it flat and cut and buff like Len said.

Can you take some closer pictures of the paint texture? Kind of looks like dry spray?

i'd guess that after you sand it flat you'll need to apply more. you might want to play with the amount of reducer and do a spray out on a scrap panel to see how it's going to lay down before you put it on the car. start with the recommended amount first, if it doesn't lay down nice maybe add another 5% or so.
    i don't have any experience with that gun, but maybe a bit more pressure at the inlet too? just make notes of what you're doing so you can replicate it if you need to.
    b marler

i just looked up that gun. looks like there might be a strainer under the cup? you might want to pull that out. my experience with the lower cost guns has been that they need a little more pressure to atomize better. i'd definitely practice on a scrap panel to get it dialed in.
    a 1.3 tip might have been a better choice too.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by Jabber View Post
    That looks way to dry, curious, how far from the panel is the gun tip while you’re spraying?

Thanks for all the feedback. I tried to maintain 8 inches from car at all times. I will definitely do a test panel in the future and wait for a cooler day. In the meantime I will
    sand it flat and practice with a 1.3 tip. Thanks again for all the advice.

I have used some of summits paint I had to use more reducer to get it to lay out. Like everyone is saying do a test panel or 2 to see what works best. You can get on YouTube to help you set the gun up to spray.

I painted the car with single stage paint mixed at 4:1:1, using a slow activator( currently 90°+ in East Texas). My gun is set with 27 PSI and a 1.5 mm tip. I did 3 coats with 10 minutes between. The paint seems dull and blotchy. Is this all user error? How should I proceed to fix this?

Back.jpgIMG_0944.jpgfront.jpg
    Looking at the little amount of overspray your tire covers and masked windows received (especially back window) I'd say you dusted this on by either a bad gun setting and/or DTP application, too fast with the hand or overly restricted flow at gun set up. Several questions come to mind;

1. Did you set gun to 27 psi with gun trigger pulled? A 1.5 tip would have no problem building a flow if gun is set up correctly.
    2. Was gun set to full flow or near full flow or was it choked back? What procedure did you use to set flow (I think this may be the problem)?
    3. What was your DTP and hand speed for application
    4. Assuming you purchased 1 gallon of product and mixed 4:1, how much product did you have left over when finished?
    5. Was car kept indoors for at least 24 hours prior to shooting (out of sun)? Temp of metal at time of application is critical.
    Last edited by Ronf; 08-23-2021 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco1ab View Post
    I have used some of summits paint I had to use more reducer to get it to lay out. Like everyone is saying do a test panel or 2 to see what works best. You can get on YouTube to help you set the gun up to spray.
    paint guns work best when they're pretty much wide open. i pull the trigger and back out the flow till the trigger stops moving, then dial it back till it just touches. open the fan up full, then dial it back so you just clip the top and bottom. set the air with the trigger pulled. done.
    if the fan is too big, get a smaller gun.
    b marler

Thanks for all the feedback. I tried to maintain 8 inches from car at all times. I will definitely do a test panel in the future and wait for a cooler day. In the meantime I will
    sand it flat and practice with a 1.3 tip. Thanks again for all the advice.
    Be sure to watch the panel as you spray, the distance from the panel is not as important as the result. Watching what the paint is doing as you spray should generate a better result. Be sure to use good lighting as you spray so that you can see what you're producing.

Thank you Len for bringing up panel observation during application, I should have stated this is how you know your DTP and hand speed are correct. Get too close or too slow and you will see the results quickly on the panel and the opposite is just as true. As stated, practice panels help you get this tactical procedure dialed in before getting onto your project. bmarler also helps me out as I dropped the ball by not explaining optimal settings for flow and fan, geez I must have had a tough day or one too many (probably both).