TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Anyone have mix ratio for Shopline JE and JH6002

Default Anyone have mix ratio for Shopline JE and JH6002

I need the mix ratios for Shop Line's JE (Acrylic Enamel) with JH 6002 hardener. Can not find any (clear) readable info online anywhere. Wanted to spray this today and got stiffed not being able to find the info online.

Also looks like my shop screwed me and told me JE did not use any reducer...which looks like it does

Any help appreciated.
    T

Quote Originally Posted by bastardbus View Post
    I need the mix ratios for Shop Line's JE (Acrylic Enamel) with JH 6002 hardener. Can not find any (clear) readable info online anywhere. Wanted to spray this today and got stiffed not being able to find the info online.

Also looks like my shop screwed me and told me JE did not use any reducer...which looks like it does

Any help appreciated.
    T
    You should be able to find your info HERE.

FYI... Many low cost paint products don't take reducer because they already have reducer mixed in, that's why they are low cost.

Any help appreciated.
    T
    you always need reducer on hand. almost every paint you get will spray better with a bit of reducer. even the low cost ones len mentioned. they just don't need as much. and if you don't need to reduce the paint, you should blow a little reducer through the gun before loading the paint. i always use the proper reducer for the paint i'm using to rinse the gun so there's no trace of any other impurities that might give me trouble.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    You should be able to find your info HERE.

FYI... Many low cost paint products don't take reducer because they already have reducer mixed in, that's why they are low cost.

Yup saw they have no info on the JE P sheet for adding hardener and the one small blurb that shows mix ratio (on a different chart page) is such low resolution I could not read it on my phone. I was able to see it on desk top here at work today 8-1-1.

As far as the having reducer on hand comment, I always do have reducer on hand but it is Urethane Reducer. 99% of the time I use-spray urethane. JE is Acrylic Enamel the car is a `70 and original paint. I am only shooting a single door to match-blend into original paint. Owner wanted same kind of paint to match what is on the vehicle (which sounds like a grood idea to me). He had paint mixed up and apparently sales forgot to include reducer for some reason. I see is required in spraying the JE according to PPG (Shop Line). Sure I could have probably used Urethane reducer but I don't like to take chances like that. I follow manufactures recommendations because I have too much time invested in prep on this door to ruin it with some failure or poor performance due to incompatibility issue.

And consequently this JE isn't low cost seeing what the owner paid for a quart with materials...YIKES! I have to say the paint shop DID do a beautiful job tinting this to match the original paint! Will be interesting to see how this sprays and sets up, it has been probably 30 years since I last sprayed AE. I think last time it was DuPont Centari A-Enamel around 1995 LOL

Thanks

Yup saw they have no info on the JE P sheet for adding hardener and the one small blurb that shows mix ratio (on a different chart page) is such low resolution I could not read it on my phone. I was able to see it on desk top here at work today 8-1-1.

As far as the having reducer on hand comment, I always do have reducer on hand but it is Urethane Reducer. 99% of the time I use-spray urethane. JE is Acrylic Enamel the car is a `70 and original paint. I am only shooting a single door to match-blend into original paint. Owner wanted same kind of paint to match what is on the vehicle (which sounds like a grood idea to me). He had paint mixed up and apparently sales forgot to include reducer for some reason. I see is required in spraying the JE according to PPG (Shop Line). Sure I could have probably used Urethane reducer but I don't like to take chances like that. I follow manufactures recommendations because I have too much time invested in prep on this door to ruin it with some failure or poor performance due to incompatibility issue.

And consequently this JE isn't low cost seeing what the owner paid for a quart with materials...YIKES! I have to say the paint shop DID do a beautiful job tinting this to match the original paint! Will be interesting to see how this sprays and sets up, it has been probably 30 years since I last sprayed AE. I think last time it was DuPont Centari A-Enamel around 1995 LOL

Thanks
    i wouldn't have used the urethane reducer either. i'm like you, i only use the products within the line i'm shooting. the supplier just dropped the ball on that, and you suffer the consequences. many shops these days don't have acrylic reducer on hand any more, why would you when you never spray it.
    at least you have a good match for color. i shot a ton of acrylic enamel back in the day, mostly delstar and centari, and i remember it flowing for forever. always a tack coat, let it dry, then two medium wet. no metallic i hope. just like riding a bicycle, it all comes back.
    b marler

Just curious what did you prefer for reducers temp range since AE flows like crazy. I am cutting in jam area today (83 degrees now) and the outside door skin tomorrow (they say 91 tomorrow) The Reducers are HOT JR507 75-85 and VERY HOT JR508 85-95. But if it flows like crazy I might wanna do the hot. I usually like a faster dry with urethanes but this is different stuff. Opinions?

Have not bought the reducer yet...on my way there in about 15 mins.

And no...no metallic. Nice boring beige color...LOL

Just curious what did you prefer for reducers temp range since AE flows like crazy. I am cutting in jam area today (83 degrees now) and the outside door skin tomorrow (they say close to 100?) The Reducers are HOT JR507 75-85 and VERY HOT JR508 85-95. But if it flows like crazy I might wanna do the hot. I usually like a faster dry with urethanes but this is different stuff. Opinions?

Have not bought the reducer yet...on my way there in about 15 mins.

And no...no metallic. Nice boring beige color...LOL
    i always liked the medium reducer. i'd guess the 75-85 would be the closest equivalent.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    i always liked the medium reducer. i'd guess the 75-85 would be the closest equivalent.
    Thanks, That is what I picked up and thanks for the heads up on spraying tack coat.

Boy that is really NICE PAINT. I was quite surprised how well it went on and how nicely it flowed out. And that AE nails the look of the original paint dead on (I should post a pic). The film build is quite thin and shows all the spot welds etc on inner panels like the original paint did, I thought that was awesome. I am very please and might find myself using this again in certain situations.

I could seeing fixing runs-dirt-issues a real nightmare though (as I do recall it was back when) being this stuff is so thin but if you can get it right out of the gun..it is NICE stuff.

Wish it was tad cheaper though (for what it is) a quart with reducer and hardner was about $100 but they DID tint it to match and did a killer job which is worth half that price to me.

Thanks, That is what I picked up and thanks for the heads up on spraying tack coat.

Boy that is really NICE PAINT. I was quite surprised how well it went on and how nicely it flowed out. And that AE nails the look of the original paint dead on (I should post a pic). The film build is quite thin and shows all the spot welds etc on inner panels like the original paint did, I thought that was awesome. I am very please and might find myself using this again in certain situations.

I could seeing fixing runs-dirt-issues a real nightmare though (as I do recall it was back when) being this stuff is so thin but if you can get it right out of the gun..it is NICE stuff.

Wish it was tad cheaper though (for what it is) a quart with reducer and hardner was about $100 but they DID tint it to match and did a killer job which is worth half that price to me.
    glad to hear it came out alright and the color match was good. i was always happy with the acrylic enamel we used back in the day. i still use it on occasion for little projects too.
    b marler