TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: A floppy body, and that's just the truck!

Default A floppy body, and that's just the truck!

Hello Everybody,
    Greetings from Australia. I am in the process of starting my next project which will be my biggest to date and a real challenge.
    Thought I would post here to get ideas to get it going in the right direction.
    I have an Australian made truck or ute as we call them which is the equivalent of your Ranchero's and El Camino's.
    The floors are trash and the inner and outer rockers are barely there so the body has become a bit floppy and has 'stretched' on one side.
    The door still closes (just) on the side that has stretched but you can put a finger in the door gap!
    The other side still has a near perfect door gap that you can fit a coin into and it opens and closes perfectly.
    I have not started and the car is still sitting on it's wheels.
    What ideas do you have for getting the stretch out of the car?
    I have though of a few things like putting it onto a frame but I want to keep it as budget friendly as possible so would appreciate and ideas you have.
    Thanks.
    AussieDart.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieDart View Post
    Hello Everybody,
    Greetings from Australia. I am in the process of starting my next project which will be my biggest to date and a real challenge.
    Thought I would post here to get ideas to get it going in the right direction.
    I have an Australian made truck or ute as we call them which is the equivalent of your Ranchero's and El Camino's.
    The floors are trash and the inner and outer rockers are barely there so the body has become a bit floppy and has 'stretched' on one side.
    The door still closes (just) on the side that has stretched but you can put a finger in the door gap!
    The other side still has a near perfect door gap that you can fit a coin into and it opens and closes perfectly.
    I have not started and the car is still sitting on it's wheels.
    What ideas do you have for getting the stretch out of the car?
    I have though of a few things like putting it onto a frame but I want to keep it as budget friendly as possible so would appreciate and ideas you have.
    Thanks.
    AussieDart.
    Check to see if the hood fits properly because the truck may be pushed to the opposite side opening the door gap. Another approach is to measure the door openings to see if the distance from the hinges to the latch side is the same, if they are you may be able to shim the hinge to get the door back where it belongs. Does the front of the door fit properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Check to see if the hood fits properly because the truck may be pushed to the opposite side opening the door gap. Another approach is to measure the door openings to see if the distance from the hinges to the latch side is the same, if they are you may be able to shim the hinge to get the door back where it belongs. Does the front of the door fit properly?
    Hi thanks for sharing.
    Yes sorry I should have mentioned that the door gap was the same on both sides before it was put in storage a few years ago. The hood fits properly. I like the idea about measuring the door openings as it will give me a proper idea of where I need to get it to.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieDart View Post
    Hi thanks for sharing.
    Yes sorry I should have mentioned that the door gap was the same on both sides before it was put in storage a few years ago. The hood fits properly. I like the idea about measuring the door openings as it will give me a proper idea of where I need to get it to.
    Also is the wide gap the same top to bottom?