TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: What's the difference between single stage and BC/CC?

Cool What's the difference between single stage and BC/CC?

What is the difference? Last year I painted my truck with two coats of single stage white. Then within the recoat window I layed on 3 coats of clear over that. Mostly for added protection and a better gloss. Wouldn't that be exactly the same as a basecoat/clearcoat application?

Pretty much.

Basecoat has no hardener, requires the clear to bond it and lock it in place. It is really forgiving because you don't have to worry about gloss, just get it on consistently and even. Then you focus on the gloss and texture while you are spraying clear.

Single stage has the hardener and UV protectant built into the paint. For white it doesn't really matter, Single stage could save you some steps I guess, and be a little cheaper.

No reason to buy a single stage if you are going to clear over it. Plain white base is inexpensive.

I don't have that much experience, but I tried a single stage metallic/pearl once... it was a nightmare. If you want all the fancy stuff go with BC/CC.

Quote Originally Posted by evintho View Post
    What is the difference? Last year I painted my truck with two coats of single stage white. Then within the recoat window I layed on 3 coats of clear over that. Mostly for added protection and a better gloss. Wouldn't that be exactly the same as a basecoat/clearcoat application?
    Single stage is tinted Clear, so you effectively put clear on clear

Was there time between the white and the clear or did you paint it all in one painting session?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Was there time between the white and the clear or did you paint it all in one painting session?
    IIRC, I shot the white one day then shot the clear the next day.

IIRC, I shot the white one day then shot the clear the next day.
    If the white had hardened then the clear may not have bonded to the clear and you may suffer from de-lamination. Time will tell.