TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 1966 mustang rocker panel welding question

Default 1966 mustang rocker panel welding question

I'm doing a patch on my RH outer rocker panel. I will be stick welding and doing a butt weld. My question is which size rod do I use to get a good clean weld? I'm new to welding so I'll practice on some scrap pieces first but want to use the same size stick for final weld as I used to practice with. I believe the metal is 18 ga...maybe thicker???

Quote Originally Posted by mellis18 View Post
    I'm doing a patch on my RH outer rocker panel. I will be stick welding and doing a butt weld. My question is which size rod do I use to get a good clean weld? I'm new to welding so I'll practice on some scrap pieces first but want to use the same size stick for final weld as I used to practice with. I believe the metal is 18 ga...maybe thicker???
    I wish I could help but in all the years I've been doing car body repairs I've never used a stick welder. We went from brazing to mig welding to metal bonding and never used a stick welder.

Using a stick welder for such thin metal will be very difficult especially for a novice.

If only you could get your hands on a mig, life would be much easier.

sheet steel can be welded with a stick, but like has been said, it's difficult. a lap weld would be easier than a butt weld, and if you can get to the back side and put some copper sheet behind the weld it will help.
    use 1/16 rod, dcen. if the metal's rusty, use 6011. if it's good clean metal use 6013. only use as much power as it takes to produce an arc, do very small welds. try to stay at 20-30 amps or so, the less the better. practice on scrap sheet first do you see what you're up against. if you can put the rocker "in position" it will help a lot. vertical stick on sheet is a real chore. i'd rather gas weld it.
    b marler

Panel bonding adhesive would be the first choice. No muss, no fuss.

So the rocker panel is 16ga. Do think that is thick enough for stick welding? The only place I'll be able to use panel adhesive is along the front of the patch piece and along the bottom lip that will be attached to the lip of the inner rocker panel. Only going to stick weld along end and in channel. I have already trimmed the channel area after the picture was taken and I will do some grinding to get the right fit.
    E6F47287-BFCD-49CB-A36A-688EFDDEF78C.jpg

This is going to be tough to say the least, even for an experienced welder. Yes, SM can be stick welded if using a decent welder. If you are determined to give this a try and have no avenue for gas, mig or panel bond application, I would follow bmarlers advice with the additional info; cut your rod in half prior to strike, position panel where you can use a strike plate for a solid arc across SM and lastly preheat the metal just a tad with hand held torch so you are not striking onto cold metal as it will help prevent sticking. You will have to get on and off SM in quick fashion to prevent blow through and sticking. Again, I would only use a stick as a very last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    This is going to be tough to say the least, even for an experienced welder. Yes, SM can be stick welded if using a decent welder. If you are determined to give this a try and have no avenue for gas, mig or panel bond application, I would follow bmarlers advice with the additional info; cut your rod in half prior to strike, position panel where you can use a strike plate for a solid arc across SM and lastly preheat the metal just a tad with hand held torch so you are not striking onto cold metal as it will help prevent sticking. You will have to get on and off SM in quick fashion to prevent blow through and sticking. Again, I would only use a stick as a very last resort.
    good advice, that cutting the rod in half. stick welding can and has been done on sheet metal but i wouldn't want to do it and i've been welding forever. one of my lancia cars has a lot of original work done using stick. it makes me wonder how long it took to build back in the day. it took me quite a bit of time smoothing out that old work.
    b marler