TheCoatingStore.com

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Single stage came out with some overspray

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    21

    Default Single stage came out with some overspray

    The prep job is the paint job!

    I know this ... but it was tough to do some touch up work and still avoid tape lines.
    My old Bronco needed some minor spots painted with the last of the single stage metallic I had left. I would have shot whole panels if I had more paint, but I think it is banned in CA now.

    Most of it came out nice and glossy, but there are some dry spots where I allowed overspray.

    Underneath these areas is good paint. Is it possible to buff away the dry spray, if it is any advice would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    45,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by navi View Post
    The prep job is the paint job!

    I know this ... but it was tough to do some touch up work and still avoid tape lines.
    My old Bronco needed some minor spots painted with the last of the single stage metallic I had left. I would have shot whole panels if I had more paint, but I think it is banned in CA now.

    Most of it came out nice and glossy, but there are some dry spots where I allowed overspray.

    Underneath these areas is good paint. Is it possible to buff away the dry spray, if it is any advice would be appreciated.
    It's possible to remove some dryness by buffing but it depends on how rough it is. In most case, unless you planned for it, dryness will have too much texture but it's worth a try. You may be able to wet sand a little with some 2000 grit then buff to help cut through the problem.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    1,667

    Default

    too bad you didn't think about using some blending solvent when the paint was fresh. it can help eliminate the halo effect you sometimes get where the new paint meets the old.
    b marler

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    too bad you didn't think about using some blending solvent when the paint was fresh. it can help eliminate the halo effect you sometimes get where the new paint meets the old.
    man, I've read a little on that, but I've never seen it or tried it.
    I don't know if I could pull that off, spraying solvent correctly on my final coat.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    1,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by navi View Post
    man, I've read a little on that, but I've never seen it or tried it.
    I don't know if I could pull that off, spraying solvent correctly on my final coat.
    it's not difficult at all. some people just use straight urethane reducer, but i like the ppg sxa840. it's an aerosol can and works well.
    b marler

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    21

    Default

    ok, wet sanding at 2000 or higher is worth a try.
    If that doesn't work well, I might respray but I'm out of that paint now.

    Anyone know if you can still order single stage acrylic enamel in CA?
    The paint I sprayed is Martin Senour crossfire 53, but NAPA doesn't sell it here.
    I would be willing try a different maker.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    olympia,wa
    Posts
    1,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by navi View Post
    ok, wet sanding at 2000 or higher is worth a try.
    If that doesn't work well, I might respray but I'm out of that paint now.

    Anyone know if you can still order single stage acrylic enamel in CA?
    The paint I sprayed is Martin Senour crossfire 53, but NAPA doesn't sell it here.
    I would be willing try a different maker.
    wish i could help, but i haven't a clue what the current cali rules are. look online for bodyshop suppliers in your area, they'll be able to tell you what's available. i'd stay with a good brand though, ppg, glasurit, etc. it's just not worth it to use cheap paint. if budget is an issue, i'd rather use the low line offerings from good manufacturers than going with some unknown thing.
    b marler

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    wish i could help, but i haven't a clue what the current cali rules are. look online for bodyshop suppliers in your area, they'll be able to tell you what's available. i'd stay with a good brand though, ppg, glasurit, etc. it's just not worth it to use cheap paint. if budget is an issue, i'd rather use the low line offerings from good manufacturers than going with some unknown thing.
    Thanks for the tips.
    I'm thinking to just switch to BC/CC for this now. Single stage is hard to find and a pita for metallics.

    The wet sanding removed the overspray, but just doesn't look glossy. I doubt that buffing will help in the places I had to sand and they will not shine like the rest of the truck.

  9. #9

    Default

    I am also a novice, but this is a question for the hive mind. Could he sand the panel with 800 and clear to get the gloss uniform or is this just opening up the whole thing to miss-match and other problems?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    45,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Niesen View Post
    I am also a novice, but this is a question for the hive mind. Could he sand the panel with 800 and clear to get the gloss uniform or is this just opening up the whole thing to miss-match and other problems?
    The main problem with that is that, depending on the color, you could still see inconsistencies in the color through the clear. Lighter colors don't show these types of problems as much as darker colors but it's a real pain if you go through all this to clear it then have to do it all over again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •