TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Missed ding noticed after paint

Default Missed ding noticed after paint

I painted the hood and I noticed a small ding/dent on the back passenger side near the center. I am going to fix it. I painted the frontend and cab together, so that the color would match. The paint is House of Kolor apple red and it has small metallic in it. I am planning of fixing it and shooting a little sealer over that small area, then blow color on it, until it looks to be covered. After that, I will shoot a little more color out wider to blend it in some, then clear the whole hood.

What would other options be?

Any concerns you may suggest I look out for.

Thanks217992883_4776214755726456_8365287002772141957_n.jpg

If it's two stage (base/clear) then just over-reduce it to blend it into the surrounding color. Apply your standard mix until you attain coverage then over-reduce the color to blend. Depending on the size of the repair you may want to re-clear the entire hood but if not then apply your clear over the repair then over-reduce the clear to blend it into the surrounding paint. If you're using a full size spray gun and not a small spot repair gun you may want to sand the entire hood with some 1500 grit wet paper then shoot your color over the repair and clear the entire hood.

Maybe a "PDR" guy could smooth that out for you.
    Some make house calls and are reasonable.
    That looks really nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    If it's two stage (base/clear) then just over-reduce it to blend it into the surrounding color. Apply your standard mix until you attain coverage then over-reduce the color to blend. Depending on the size of the repair you may want to re-clear the entire hood but if not then apply your clear over the repair then over-reduce the clear to blend it into the surrounding paint. If you're using a full size spray gun and not a small spot repair gun you may want to sand the entire hood with some 1500 grit wet paper then shoot your color over the repair and clear the entire hood.
    Thanks for the advice. I wasn't thinking about over reducing. I plan on just re-clearing the entire hood.

Quote Originally Posted by JCCLARK View Post
    Maybe a "PDR" guy could smooth that out for you.
    Some make house calls and are reasonable.
    That looks really nice!
    I will fix it, not any of those guys out here in the country.

Thanks, it's turning out nice. I was told by a couple people to leave it, but I can't do it lol

I'm with JCClark, PDR is the way to go. Even if you have to track down a PDR guy.

That hood looks great and messing with it now repairing that ding yourself could open up a whole can of worms. Not always, but often enough to avoid it if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post
    I painted the hood and I noticed a small ding/dent on the back passenger side near the center. I am going to fix it. I painted the frontend and cab together, so that the color would match. The paint is House of Kolor apple red and it has small metallic in it. I am planning of fixing it and shooting a little sealer over that small area, then blow color on it, until it looks to be covered. After that, I will shoot a little more color out wider to blend it in some, then clear the whole hood.

What would other options be?

Any concerns you may suggest I look out for.

Thanks217992883_4776214755726456_8365287002772141957_n.jpg
    If it is a 2 stage paint you have a good plan. I would start by sanding entire hood to 1500 wet, repair dent/ding area per your repair products TDS recommendations, follow your original plan for respray of paint and clear and Lens suggestion for over reducing (a must for me). If you do not have a touch up gun be very mindful of your guns adjustment when blowing on bc (feather in that last coat of base by backing off your distance a few inches), use a wall board for gun test patterns until you feel confident it will go as expected. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post
    I was told by a couple people to leave it, but I can't do it lol
    I completely understand that!
    I'm the same way and my wife never understands why, I guess
    I'm just OCD.

No advise here from me on doing the work. But that looks like a 53-56 F100 hood. Can we see more pictures. Love the colour.
    Building my dream one piece at a time.

How much of a ding are you talking about? if its super small, I would consider starting with 320 with very light pressure on something like a shortened durablock. if you have enough clear you might get lucky and get it flat without breaking into the base coat. follow it up with 400, 600 & re clear the hood. but, you have to start with at least 320 or its not going to work.

Seeing you have to fill & seal the area might not hurt to start out that way? Unless of course we are talking about something of significance and over .001-.002" But it's amazing how amplified deviations are under full gloss on a flat surface. Doesn't take much.

You did mention the word "dent" as well in your description, so maybe this is much bigger than I am imagining for you